• ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Good evening,

I now have a Remington 870 20ga Express Magnum shotgun. Standard length magazine tube. Shot a few I'm told but is very clean. No rust and still feels new. Closet queen because the guy had a double.

With 3 barrels; a 21" ribbed smooth with screw in remchoke [mod?] on it, 28" ribbed smooth [mod?], and a 20" smooth slug with Remington open sights. The stock is wood, and the rear has been shortened an inch and the pistol grip removed to be a straight wrist; checkered wood med length forend. It also came with a Remington synthetic stock set, youth length butt stock and "long tailed" forend.

For the moment I intend to keep it with the wood stock and 21" bbl which fits me OK. But I'm not much of a shotgunner for a couple decades. It's definitely not a tactical gun, but I kinda got it for home defense, etc. I live in the suburbs so I don't need it to scare varmints away from the chickens. But I do want it to be more user friendly and not just a bird gun collecting dust. So I could use some ideas on what to do inexpensively to make it more 'useful'. Thanks.
    [edit; pivture added]
    1672883006336.jpeg
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    I have several shotguns for different applications. Hunting, skeet, clay, and home defense. All are 12 gauge. Shot guns are great for home defense especially if your not proficient with guns in general. All my home defense shotguns are 12 guage SBR's or tactical. Each is loaded and chambered with safety on. Your in my house, you won't hear the rack of the slide before you die.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good evening,

I now have a Remington 870 20ga Express Magnum shotgun. Standard length magazine tube. Shot a few I'm told but is very clean. No rust and still feels new. Closet queen because the guy had a double.

With 3 barrels; a 21" ribbed smooth with screw in remchoke [mod?] on it, 28" ribbed smooth [mod?], and a 20" smooth slug with Remington open sights. The stock is wood, and the rear has been shortened an inch and the pistol grip removed to be a straight wrist; checkered wood med length forend. It also came with a Remington synthetic stock set, youth length butt stock and "long tailed" forend.

For the moment I intend to keep it with the wood stock and 21" bbl which fits me OK. But I'm not much of a shotgunner for a couple decades. It's definitely not a tactical gun, but I kinda got it for home defense, etc. I live in the suburbs so I don't need it to scare varmints away from the chickens. But I do want it to be more user friendly and not just a bird gun collecting dust. So I could use some ideas on what to do inexpensively to make it more 'useful'. Thanks.
    [edit; pivture added]
    View attachment 366099
    >
    The shotgun you describe & picture is a very dependable weapon, just as-is.

One minor concern: If you are an average or large guy, the l.o.p. should probably be at least 14.5” for wingshooting.

Using modern plastic & shot-cup ammo, bbl length over ~ 18” has no effect on pattern or string

Congratulations on your great “buy”.

leVieux

Reactions: gll

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The 870 is a great shotgun. With the combo that you have, that's a definite SHTF firearm!

That is the ugliest butt stock I've ever seen - is that a homemade variety?

I'd suggest you find a trap and skeet range nearby and take that out for a spin. You might be surprised at how much fun you can have with that shotgun.

GeauxLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    San Antonio
    I inherited an unfired late 50s Wingmaster. Beautiful. Put a take off synthetic set of furniture, 18.5" cylinder bore, pulled the (wooden back then) plug and loaded with 00 as one of a couple "Welcome to not your home" gifts.
    I'd just put the synthetic you have on it and the slug barrel and be done.

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Tks. The youth length stock fits but is just feels too short. I feel kinda stupid just getting another like it for an inch difference, even if it's a popular model.

What experience do you have with a pistol grip stock? I hear pros and cons. It's confusing that everyone just KNOWS one or the other is just wrong. Pistol grip looks strange though and concerns me as looking to 'tactical' in case it gets 'questioned' some time.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There's something wonky going on with that stock - It may be a "youth" stock, but it doesn't look like it's intended for an 870. I'd ditch it for a proper butt stock meant for the gun. Otherwise, the only change I'd make is pulling the magazine limiter if it's still installed - that was the first thing I did with my brand new 870 Express when I was a teenager. 5 shells is much better than 3 in the mag tube.

wakosama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Synthetic stock set is a Remington youth with 12" lop and the long tail forend. If I get another 'normal' stock I'll just get a Hogue overmold and keep the long tail forend. The wood 'thing' is just a std Rem stock with the pistol grip cut off and a slightly oversize recoil pad; never finished. Didn't come with a mag limiter. tks.

Oh, both short barrels are 21 5", and a new or used 18" is $200 or there about so no changes.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom