Join TexasGunTalk

New midsize pickup questions/help needed

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by Byrd666, Dec 1, 2019.

1. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Depending on model, Toyota sells Bilstein and Fox shocks for their TRD/Pro models.

They’re all the real deal...actually engineered in the US in collaboration with Fox/Bilstein engineers. They’re even offered with 2.5” shock bodies, again depending on model and options.

The only other company offering 2.5” factory shocks that I know if, was the Gen 1 Ford Raptor...the current model is billed as a 3” Fox shock, but the internals are more closely related to a 2.5” shock.

Rancho shocks are waaaay over-rated. They’re a Tenneco Automotive brand...they’re made right alongside Monroe shocks (also a Tenneco brand) and really have little true off-road prowess. They’re average shocks...

(After 15+ years of working on the Toyota and Lexus brands, at the factory level, I know quite a few folks at Toyota HQ, including the Lexus LX Baja race team...which silently dominated its class for several years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce likes this.
  2. CaptainMorgan9119

CaptainMorgan9119 New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    I'm partial to the Colorado, but I'm also a bit of a Chevy fan. But there's a few reasons I'd go with the Colorado over the Tacoma.

1. 'Murica!
    2. Parts affordability. Not that the Toyota is expensive, but domestics are typically cheaper. Plus the engine is used in various other vehicles, meaning even more parts availability.
    3. The engine in the Colorado has been around for years, all the bugs having been worked out. Meaning reliability and durability.
    4. MPG is higher on the Colorado.
    5. Ride comfort. Chevrolet has mastered this is their trucks. Smooth on the road.

Byrd666 likes this.
  3. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member

Dec 18, 2015
    If buying pre-owned, I’d buy a gently used Colorado because they depreciate like crazy. Let the first owner take that hit.

If buying new, Tacoma all the way. They are at or near the top of the list in holding their resale value.

The Tacoma will last forever. The Chevy won’t.

toddnjoyce, pronstar and Byrd666 like this.
  4. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    1. Tacoma is built in San Antonio
    2. The Tacoma engines are found in way more models, selling in way higher numbers, than Colorado engines
    3. Toyota I-4 and V6 engines have been around for well over a decade. These engines are the definition of reliability.

Not trying to be a dick but it is what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Both of y'all made valid points. As did many others. Gives me more information to make an informed decision with.

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Does it really, or are you more undecided now?

:green:

Dad_Roman and TxStetson like this.
  7. CaptainMorgan9119

CaptainMorgan9119 New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    1. I never said the Tacoma was built elsewhere, I was referring to Chevrolet being an American company, thus profits and money staying here.
    2. According to le Google, both engines are found in the same number of models. I never said the Colorado engine was used in MORE models, I said it is used in VARIOUS models, thus leading to better parts availability and affordability. The affordability part being mainly due to being domestic. http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/
    3. The engine in the Tacoma has not been around for decades, it was released in 2015. It had its own problems when it first came out, although they probably worked them out by now. https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=129

I don't know if you misread/misinterpreted what I said, but you completely changed what I said.

8. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County

Yes??

Okay, yes. I 'm certain of it.

I think

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.
  9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is it possible to modify a Tacoma to make it be more comfortable/ride better than the Colorado? I'm not in the market but I'm curious since this seems to be one of the things people cite in favor of the Colorado.

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it....

toddnjoyce, Dad_Roman and benenglish like this.