• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My fist Kimber and this thing sucks. Trigger is heavy as hell, 400 rounds in and the slide action is still rough as sand paper and 2 of the bushings for the grip screws have come loose and that super cheap plastic back strap completely sux! Sooo off to the smith it has gone. The initial purchase + my pick list…going straight for a Dan Wesson Pointman or a Gold Cup Trophy would have been cheaper. I swear the $450 Para GI Expert I got from Academy was twice the quality out of the box.

edit: Even the magazine sux, the follower twists and gets hung up.

I assume it wasn’t NIB, but may be worth checking with Kimber for help with these issues.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My fist Kimber and this thing sucks. Trigger is heavy as hell, 400 rounds in and the slide action is still rough as sand paper and 2 of the bushings for the grip screws have come loose and that super cheap plastic back strap completely sux! Sooo off to the smith it has gone. The initial purchase + my pick list…going straight for a Dan Wesson Pointman or a Gold Cup Trophy would have been cheaper. I swear the $450 Para GI Expert I got from Academy was twice the quality out of the box.

If it's so bad I'll take it off your hands for like 50 bucks

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    FWIW, I've gotten better results lubing slides with grease - almost any grease - vs any kind of oil. The old guy that taught me used to cut regular bearing grease with a little diesel to make it a little thinner, then hit the rails with it, swearing it was better than any oil. I use a commercial gun grease, but haven't really seen one grease that was "better" than another - but those alloy frames do NOT generally work well w/oil in my experience - and my Randall's have held up well with the grease. You might find the rails need a little light dressing with a very fine file from previous run-dry by the original owner.

Confucius say:
    Oil things that rotate.
    Grease things that slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I've have a stainless 9mm LW full size Kimber that was bought brand new last year. I did a basic field strip and cleaning plus oiled everything with Lucas gun oil. I've put a few hundred rounds thru it and never had any problems.

Bought a used stainless Ultra Raptor II a few months ago and also never had any problems.

Years ago I bought a very used Custom II from my brother who put thousands of rounds thru it. Just oiled it and cleaned it occasionally and also zero issues. Still all the original springs and no modifications.

Everyone says Kimbers suck but I haven't bought a lemon yet. I'm pretty sure every gun manufacturer has put out a turd every once in a while.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX

What smith did you send it to?

@BMF500 , get you a nice Colt. :)

I own 1 Colt, but have fired many.
    A new Gold Cup came into my lgs the other day and the owner has been convincing me how bad Colts have been the last few years. He told me to try the safety ... That gun will never sell. The safety is so gritty and clunking , i would be pissed if i ordered it and it came in that way.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Colt Commander is my carry gun.
    Charles Daly is my go to all else gun.
    These are the two of what I have I trust the most.
    A492FD12-014B-49A5-902D-0B067EB4135A.jpeg

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I've have a stainless 9mm LW full size Kimber that was bought brand new last year. I did a basic field strip and cleaning plus oiled everything with Lucas gun oil. I've put a few hundred rounds thru it and never had any problems.

Bought a used stainless Ultra Raptor II a few months ago and also never had any problems.

Years ago I bought a very used Custom II from my brother who put thousands of rounds thru it. Just oiled it and cleaned it occasionally and also zero issues. Still all the original springs and no modifications.

Everyone says Kimbers suck but I haven't bought a lemon yet. I'm pretty sure every gun manufacturer has put out a turd every once in a while.
    This is the first one for me. I bought my ex a Stainless Ultra Carry about 4 years ago and it was flawless from round one.
    What smith did you send it to?
    Mitch @ Payne Bros in Katy.
    Colt, 'nuff said!
    I've owned 3, currently have 2 and come Friday will be 3 again.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

My first full sized 1911 was a modern production Remington which also had a polymer mainspring housing. Replaced that with a machined steel part, vintage Remington. Slipped right in.

Also put on an extended slide release and steel night sights.

My micro Kimber needed some work. A couple of strokes with a file because the end of the trigger was sharp and pointy. And I replaced the springs with a set from Mcarbo and now the trigger feels like a high grade custom pistol.

A few hundred rounds through them and keeping them lubed and greased and the action is slick as owl shit on both of them.

Also, Wilson Combat mags ftw.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    As brother red said about the grease but I've also found if you remove the guide rod and spring put it back together and hand run the slide 4or 500 times it laps the slide..

Top Bottom