• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browntank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    houston
    idk what type of gun to buy when i turn 21. I don't know if i should go with the usuall clip loading gun or maybe go with the old dinosur revolver. Since i can only buy rifles thats all i have. But please give me suggetions to help me find the right gun for me and the right caliber to go with.
    Lynx Defense

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    <insert my std buy a Glock comment here>

and now answer your question, I will ask another question. What do you want to do with this new (I am assuming) Handgun? Range toy, SD/HD, sit in you room as you stoke it and call it your precious

browntank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    houston
    i guess i would call it my precious no matter what? she would be like my first so i want it to be just right.lol But iam plannig on going to become and officer so i guess a good reliable duty wepond and maybe a good conceal hand gun when off work.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Howdy - an' welcome! View attachment 3573

You're pretty much goin' "mutually exclusive" on what purpose you want the gun to serve. By definition, a backup gun is usually VERY concealable and compact - which for me, is usually something along the lines of a Smith & Wesson Model 10 w/a snubbie barrel. Accuracy is NOT a strong suit - but if you pull it, you're gonna be "up close and personal", so you don't NEED range accuracy. When I pull a "hide-away", 9 times outta 10 it's gonna be a wheel gun, simply because I know that the gun is gonna be abused and seldom messed with - and a revolver VERY seldom is finicky in its' operation.

Most departments issue duty weapons - so you will be wasting money buying one to carry while on duty. Also, be aware that many departments prohibit "back-ups" being carried by new officers. You might also consider a compact, 5-round .357 snubbie - but personally, I think the .38 would be adequate in most situations where you'll be pulling a deep-cover gun.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Personally I think that you should get a good .22 and learn to shoot it, a Ruger mark 1,2,or3, or a Browning buckmark. .22 ammo is a lot cheaper and has less recoil than the centerfires. While learning with the .22 save your money for a centerfire of your choice.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    First, do you have any experience with hand guns?
    If not I would buy one that can shoot multiple calibers OR a 9mm.

Multiple calibers so that you can use lower power shells and work up, like 38/357
    9mm because they range widely in design and potency, and aside from 22 it is the cheapest ammo to shoot.
    What ever gun you buy it will be important to get lots of trigger time to be good.
    The lower price the ammo is the more time you get behind the trigger.
    Last thing is, if you are new to hand guns, think long and hard on your pistol purchase, go rent some if you can and be sure you are very happy with your pick. Then shoot that one gun, don't go out and buy a half dozen others.
    You end up with a bunch of guns that hardly ever get shot, and you never get good with really good with any of them.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Personally I think that you should get a good .22 and learn to shoot it, a Ruger mark 1,2,or3, or a Browning buckmark. .22 ammo is a lot cheaper and has less recoil than the centerfires. While learning with the .22 save your money for a centerfire of your choice.

+1

Top Bottom