Join TexasGunTalk

New cartridge from Hornady!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by smittyb, Jun 3, 2020.

1. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    I'll pass. Accuracy+gas just don't go together for me. I have a Grendel and 223. They work well. But, for accurate-long range work, I always grab my bolt.

2. smittyb

smittyb Well-Known

Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    It is not the same as the 6mm AR. The 6mm AR is simply a 6.5G necked down to 6mm. The 6mm ARC has the shoulder moved back and a Slightly different R.
    But besides any of that, Hornady took a cartridge to SAAMI and got approval. Robert Whitley could have done the same thing at any time.
    Look at 300 whisper VS 300 blackout. Before AAC took it to SAAMI, it was just a rare niche round. Now damn near everyone has one.

jordanmills likes this.
  3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I'll give it to Hornady's Marketing Dept. They are real good at promoting a new cartridge. We learned that 13 years ago with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Remington needs to hire some of Hornady's marketing employee's,maybe they won't have so many failed cartridges or rifles that are made with the wrong twist rates for the cartridges they are supposed to shoot.

Hornady might not have developed the whole cartridge from scratch,hell very few of any new cartridges are actually something "New". Almost all of them are just a modified case from another cartridge.

Lunyfringe and Axxe55 like this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Most independent cartridge designer's don't have deep enough pockets to pay SAAMI in order to get their cartridge tested & approved. That's why they stay Wildcat cartridges.

Axxe55 likes this.
  5. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Just curious about why you think it may cause this?

6. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

What did the 224 Valkyrie offer over the 6.5 Grendel? It really didn't live up to the hype, and honestly I see it as a glorified 5.56. I feel like a lot of it's success was simply due to hype and the fact that it was the hot new cartridge on the market. The 6mm ARC is going to take it's place in that regard. That's not to say that the 224 is a bad round, just not a good enough round to stay relevant in my opinion.

The 6mm ARC could very well find itself in that same position in a few years. The AR cartridge market is pretty bad about chewing up and spitting out new designs. Very few rounds actually stay relevant for more than a few years. The 6.8 SPC is a good example of that. It used to be very popular. Now, it's still around but not as easy to find uppers or parts for.

Mohawk600 and Axxe55 like this.
  7. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    For people who don't have a large variety of cartridges, or only have a couple rifles and one is an AR, I could see wanting the 6mmARC if it gets a lot of support from.the industry. I have a 6.5 Grendel though and I don't think the BC on the 6mmARC outweighs what the 6.5 Grendel can already do. I don't have a particularly expensive Grendel upper either, so I could potentially get a nice precision 6mmARC upper. It would depend on how much industry support there is for it.

I personally don't buy into 224 Valkyrie and haven't heard many people say much good about it, outside of youtubers

Axxe55 likes this.
  8. Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The 224 Valkyrie had several issues with different barrel makers having/using different chamber reamers than what the actual cartridge was spec'd to. That caused many owner's a lot of problems,and everyone pointed fingers at someone else instead of admitting fault and fixing it.

Big Green, Axxe55 and TxStetson like this.
  9. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    So has it been fixed now? Who is the go to barrel maker for .224 V?

10. Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I couldn't tell you,I have no interest in the cartridge. I built a custom 22 Creedmoor bolt action for my hot rod .224" cartridge.

Maverick44 and Axxe55 like this.