• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Injectors, yes. Other issues created by engineers with the mental veracity of a chimp on xanax....no. If you pull trailers/heavy loads routinely, then diesel can make sense. If it's because you think you're saving money....no.

Spent many years on previous job with fleet responsibilities included. Crunched the numbers, did the math...and came to the conclusion that diesels simply don't return their cost for many applications, especially in light trucks. Current company used to give me grief for "wasting" money on my gas fired truck. Finally sat down w/the owner one day and gave him a 10-year history of my maintenance on gas engines. In those 10 years, 2.5 new trucks. Biggest repair expense was on the tranny of a Chevy mistake I made blowin' @ 50k miles, which Chevy finally agreed to cover (hard part failure). That was the ONLY repair during that time....which represented a bit over 400,000 miles of travel.
    Contrast that w/the diesels, which average dealership/shop repairs of $1,500 per visit (their numbers, not mine) and are in for service of some sort every 8-10 months, with average annual mileage of 22,000 miles (or thereabouts - don't recall exactly). Down time per repair is 1 week on average.
    Oil change every 3k miles.....LOTS more oil....mine is every 5k miles.
    Tires are a LOT more expensive on diesel trucks (engine weight), and front end/brake repairs more frequent.

List goes on....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, diesel doesn't really make a lot of sense. On the up side it doesn't need any type of electrical system to run, therefore it can survive an EMP

Top Bottom