• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my00t8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Greetings, all!

I'm new to firearms. Not totally new, mind you, thanks to several family members, friends and the rifle ranges of several Boys Scout summer camps, but until this past Christmas I did not own a firearm of my own. Recently I seem to have developed an interest, in part due to marrying into a deer hunting family and other part due to all my college buddies seemingly developing an interest in parallel.

This Christmas I asked Santa (my wife) for a hunting rifle. I did mounds of research and went all over the place trying to handle the different models I was considering. They include...

Tikka T3 - Smoothest action I observed and reportedly the best out of box accuracy, but the safety was flimsy and there seemed to be plastic in all the wrong places.

Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 - Gets great reviews, but just felt heavy and clunky in my arms.

Savage 11x - I probably didn't give the Savage proper consideration, admittedly due to my own mindset going in. I'm sure they make a great rifle overall. My brother-in-law has taken many deer with his 110.

Ruger M77 - Nothing wrong with this rifle. Loved it. Just didn't love it as much as...

Remington 700 - The Remington just seemed light without being cheap. Heavy without being clunky. It was a joy to handle and operate. The safety was idiot-proof and in a position that fit me nicely. All the best features were there... Drilled and tapped for scope mounting, an easily adjustable trigger, a nice recoil pad, etc. I knew the rifle was not without its faults, but it felt right to me.

I settled on the Remington 700 SPS in .30-06. I prefer a better stock (wood), but my wife is tight with money and I'm not complaining about that (if she knew what I spent on HER gifts she would kill me and take them all back to their respective stores). I knew .30-06 would be overkill for Texas white tail, which will probably be 95% of my hunting, but it gave me some bigger game options down the road in a tried and true caliber that should be plentiful and thus easy to find without breaking the bank.

My Christmas surprise was that when my wife told her parents what she was getting me they decided to chip in and upgrade the purchase to a 700 CDL. It's a BEAUTIFUL rifle. Being that it's almost worthless without a scope, and since I pulled a lot of overtime just prior to Christmas, I treated myself in fitting it with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. I told myself I wouldn't spend that much on glass, but it's only money and you only live once.

I took the whole setup down to the family farm this weekend and quickly got it sighted in. I shot groupings on three different days with several different kinds of ammo. I found myself struggling to get most groups in under 2.5 MOA, but with Federal Premium Gameking BTSP I consistantly shoot under 1.5. I'm confident that with more practice I can pull it in under 1. This is apparently the ammunition my rifle likes best. Was disappointed in the Hornady, which was all over the place by comparison. Disappointed because I had heard nothing but good things about their stuff, and because it's quite a bit cheaper than the Federal.

Anyhow, it's a nice Christmas story and I'm 100% positive I have a great setup for next season. Only problem now is we're starting to see hogs at the farm. I'm thinking I need a lever gun to carry around in the Gator for taking care of that little problem. Any opinions on the Marlin 336?
    Venture Surplus ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Congrats on your new rifle. 30.06 is an accurate round, and with a little practice you'll be sub MOA in no time. I don't do a lot of HP rifle shooting ($$) but I favor the Federal brand in my Sako.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Congrats on the new rifle. The 30-06 is a very versatile caliber and most prefer 150 gr (just thought I'd throw that in there) I shoot a 30-06 right now. I've never killed anything with it but I could,ve several times. Now to your 336 I had one, stopped two deer DRT with it like okiie rifleman said it's been around forever for a reason. Good luck with those pigs.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Late into this party, but yeah - the 30-06 is a great cartridge - and the 700? Well, put it this way - I own two of 'em (BDL models), one in 7mm mag, the other in 22-250. Love the rifles, and they've been consistent game-getters for over 15 years now. Best part is that they were bought as part of a "all or none" deal I did back then - those were the 2 I really wanted, but the guy wanted to sell everything as one package. Don't recall all of 'em, but there was like 5-6 different guns - a shotgun, two pistols an' 3 rifles IIRC. Played with all of 'em, but ultimately decided the two 700's were what I really wanted to keep and sold the others for enough that the two rifles didn't cost me a cent....THAT kinda deal don't come along very often!

Top Bottom