Join TexasGunTalk

Nerds: Learn me on computers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by toddnjoyce, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Lenovo - Hi Point
    Dell - Roehm
    HP - Taurus
    All others - Jennings

Asus, Acer - Glock
    Sinclair Spectrum - 1911

no2gates likes this.
  2. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I have had good use from Dell notebooks.

Last Lenovo I had was a piece of junk that didn't last two years. Toshiba notebooks not what they used to be.

3. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    If you had a low end Dell, then maybe not great. XPS or Alienware are without equal in the hundreds of PC’s I work with every year.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just learned about the Latitude 7200 competitor to the Surface Pro. Seems to be top dog right now.

just country likes this.
  5. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    There are literally tens of thousands of Lenovo ThinkPads in use at my place of employment and the 5,000 or so that went through my hands the last few months are all around four to five years old. Some of them really took a beating too but still work. They're just barebones, no frills, ugly pieces of crap. But they work.

studenygreg likes this.
  6. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    HP EliteBook 735 G6 Notebook PC is a decent option. Has 16 GB RAM, half TB NVMe drive, runs on an AMD Ryzen cpu. I'm not typically an AMD guy, but right now they're crushing Intel. It has a 13.3" 1920x1080, should have reasonable battery life that is easily replaced, and not a huge laptop by any means. You can also buy accessories for it, such as a laptop dock.

If you prefer Intel for whatever fanboy reasons, then the HP Elite series has many other options with similar specs but a 7th or 8th gen processor

toddnjoyce and SQLGeek like this.
  7. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Great choice. Those specs fall in line pretty much with what I was thinking too.

You're right, Ryzen chips are killing right now.

toddnjoyce and DyeF9 like this.
  8. Kar98

Kar98 TGT Addict

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    That's an expensive email checker...

9. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    He can buy a cheap laptop, but he's not going to be happy with it more than a couple years, which was a stipulation of the new laptop. Should be pleasant to use and last a good 5 years, roughly. Also the cheapies have intolerable screens that make me batshit crazy, so I can't in my right mind, recommend them.

toddnjoyce and SQLGeek like this.
  10. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

Just got home and read this.

There are only two brands you can consider if you need a smartcard reader:

HP and Dell

Lenovo is out because of obvious reasons (you can pm me about it if you don't know what they are.)

Anyone else is out because their support and logistics will be too shitty to be reliable if you do have an issue.

I don't know what HPs support system is like. I do know what Dell's is like and there is a reason people buy them.

Total disclaimer. I work at Dell in the highest level of commercial support you can get. We sold 71 million PCs last year on top of the 280 million (verified) Dell service tags still in operation (those that logged onto the net and at least sent a signal to our update servers to check for an update.) About 1/3 of that is consumer/client (what you'd be) so round it off to 130 million Dell consumer/client PCs. At my level of support WORLDWIDE we had 24000 tickets last year (12000 of them in the US.) So out of 130 million PCs 24000 or so had an issue serious enough that it required L3 or L4 support.

SQLGeek and toddnjoyce like this.