• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Did you have bitlocker enabled when the drive was cloned?

No

Eh? What were you using to clone the disk? I never had such issues with Acronis True Image. Boot from the Acronis media, select "tools, clone disks", select source and target, go. Swap drives, ready to roll.
    EaseUS ToDo

Clone disk, selected source, then target per software instructions.

Original HDD is back in the laptop now. Looks like cloning did not clone everything. Disk 0 is the HDD.

c90a0df9f8991d43bc44f1f9893fd71b.jpg
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• c90a0df9f8991d43bc44f1f9893fd71b.jpg
      c90a0df9f8991d43bc44f1f9893fd71b.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 583

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    System clone fail. Bad sector on source. I’m out of ideas. I’m not dropping any more money into this thing and I’m not really ready to buy another.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Quick update: many thanks to @CyberWolf for some great guidance. I was able to clone my old HDD to a new SSD to go along with the 8GB of RAM I’ve got installed. So far, this configuration is meeting our needs working from the desk.

As a laptop, we have about 95mins of battery power; I’m working to source a new battery, but that seems to be the limiting factor as its hard to source.

But it meets our needs for the time being. Last Friday I had to swap my work virtual machine laptop for a fully loaded laptop and personal use is no longer acceptable.

My eyes are peeled for a suitable, economical solution for the home laptop, though.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Help me understand if this is an accurate comparison

1. Lenovo - Glock
    2. Dell - 1911
    3. HP - Taurus
    4. Others. - High Point
    It seems pretty good, except for HP. That should probably be more like Sig or S&W. But I am biased, as I worked for HP for 15 years or so back when they were Hewlett-Packard.
    And I think you will be OK if you go with any of the first 3. I have owned or used all of them and have no major complaints.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Did you consider and already reject the MS Surface? We have a daughter who uses one and likes it. I think you'll get better battery life out of one...and can add the keyboard...

I want a pro or an XPS13.

Once we add it all up for the configuration we want for either, it’s in Dan Wesson to Wilson Combat money, ad. I’ve got a Taurus budget.

I did look at Costco, who’s got a Surface pro w/keyboard and pen for $799. That’s 8gb ram and 128gb disk space; I don’t think that’s going a viable solution. But, it does have an expansion slot and a 512gb SD card is only $85.

Decisions, decisions.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    eBay, and it's a Pro 4, specs as shown.
    And I've got Win10 Pro and Office 365 running on a Surface 3, not even a Pro, just fine.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I gave up long ago on cutting edge computers. Unless you are doing something like gaming or such that requires these kinds of speed and memory and video performance, the cheapest laptop will usually do for internet browsing, banking and email. Get a backup drive to store all your documents, pictures and stuff to so if the laptop goes down they will always be there too. They are fairly cheap too. I have been using an Acer Aspire E5-521 for years now with no issues. A 2 to 10 TB backup drive is fairly inexpensive as well $40 to $150. I just bought a small tablet with keyboard (makes it a small notebook) running Windows 10 for $98. Perfect and cheap. Use it mostly for when traveling as it is very small.

Top Bottom