• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    There are two kinds of people, those that have had a negligent discharge and those that will have a negligent discharge.

I certainly hope you are wrong.
    Lynx Defense

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I had mine; was shooting a pistol with quite a light trigger at 50 yds, had it at low ready tight in to my chest, between shots, taking a deep breath. For some weird reason my finger was on the trigger and "bang!" Played it off like I meant to do it but scared the hell out of me.

When my girls come over to shoot I'm constantly saying "finger off the trigger!" if they aren't ready to immediately fire. I check every gun repeatedly even if I just unloaded it and layed it down.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I had mine; was shooting a pistol with quite a light trigger at 50 yds, had it at low ready tight in to my chest, between shots, taking a deep breath. For some weird reason my finger was on the trigger and "bang!" Played it off like I meant to do it but scared the hell out of me.

When my girls come over to shoot I'm constantly saying "finger off the trigger!" if they aren't ready to immediately fire. I check every gun repeatedly even if I just unloaded it and layed it down.
    "for some weird reason"....

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    Well shit now that y’all are telling stories about NDs here’s mine. Not sure if I should classify this is an AD or ND. You decide.

I had just bought a 19 gen 4 MOS. I shot it for about a week and decided that I wanted an aftermarket trigger (my expert opinion after reading the internet and only owning a gun for a few months). I went to the store and got my zev trigger. I brought it back home and installed it. The trigger pull was way to light to carry the gun. Nonetheless I had to run to the store quick and decided to carry it anyway. I was intending on monkeying with the connector to fine tune the trigger to make it closer to stock weight. I unholstered the gun and put it on the table. My other half asked me to do something so I just left it there and came back a few minutes later. Thinking about safety, I dropped the mag. I began to work on the trigger guard with a dremel pointing the muzzle in all different directions, at my other half, muzzle swept the cat multiple times and the dog once or twice. After getting that done and cleaning off the polymer shavings it was time to change connectors and springs. I pulled the slide back a quarter of an inch, and hit the takedown tabs. The slide wouldn’t come off so I pulled the trigger. No click but a bang. Thru the wall in the kitchen and into the bathroom closet, then thru the wall in the closet into the ceiling in the bathroom.

I put the gun down and on the table and put it back in its holster. And stashed it away in the safe. The cat ran away and hid under the bed. The dog whines and whines because the shot hurt his ears. My other half screamed and she told me how stupid I was. I remember feeling as if I had failed. I know the gun safety rules and was lucky that the muzzle wasn’t pointed at myself, my pets or my girl.

Since then whenever I’m cleaning the gun, I drop the mag, rack the slide to get the round out of the chamber. I then rack the slide 4 or 5 times. Lock the slide back and pinky check the chamber. Then I’ll pull the trigger with the gun pointed in a safe direction. Until I hear the click, my heart races.

So yes I’ve had an AD/ND in my adult years, yes I’m an idiot. No, it won’t happen again. Most importantly all my loved ones, pets included, are safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well shit now that y’all are telling stories about NDs here’s mine. Not sure if I should classify this is an AD or ND. You decide.

That is an ND. Not chastising you, but you were negligent on several points. Thank God no one was hurt, and I imagine you will not be a nonchalant again. Glad you have a good attitude about it.

My biggest dislike about the Glock is that you have to press the trigger to field strip.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    That is an ND. Not chastising you, but you were negligent on several points. Thank God no one was hurt, and I imagine you will not be a nonchalant again. Glad you have a good attitude about it.

My biggest dislike about the Glock is that you have to press the trigger to field strip.

I do agree. I was a new gun owner. I hadn’t had any safety scares and I got complacent. Thinking I was hot shit... stupid

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I do agree. I was a new gun owner. I hadn’t had any safety scares and I got complacent. Thinking I was hot shit... stupid

Complacency happens easily. I have been shooting for about 50 years. Safety was drilled into me early, and I was told the first time I thought I could ease up because "I know what I am doing" that the thought would likely be followed by a loud "bang".

When teaching LTC/Armed guard classed I don't even allow blue guns to muzzle people and I keep finger discipline. Not because I don't recognize the difference, but I am trying to set a good example.

When I was a teen around 13-14 my dad used to take me to Elm Fork in Dallas. There was a crusty old guy who ran the place (Charlie Reed) that was a really good guy. Dad was a LEO firearms instructor and had access to the LEO range. We were shooting one day and Charlie wandered down. Dad had me load up the S&W model 10 and told Charlie to "look how well he shoots, Charlie". I will never forget Charlie's response, "I don't give a shit how well he shoots, can he handle that gun safely"?

I think he said so more to impress upon me that safety is more important that everything else. If so it worked, I remember to this day, and I use a version of that line when I train others. Interesting how others impact you...

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    No, that is a lie told by folks who have had a ND and want to feel better about themselves.

The reality is over 99% of gun owners will never have an ND.

I guess I’m in the 1%. Not the 1% I want to be in though

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    My experience in the military is that NDs are a function of experience and complacency.

Most of the time military members are armed, they are in a controlled environment with no access to ammunition. They are taught to do field strip, reassemble, and then function check the weapon, which necessitates inserting a magazine, cycling the action, and then pulling the trigger on safe, then of fire.

In a live, uncontrolled environment, where they are armed all the time and have a loaded magazine in the weapon, NDs occur fairly regularly. Enough so that it results in theater-wide policies resulting in an Article 15 when an ND occurs and those are handed out several times a week until enough of them occur that the message is received.

Doesn’t matter branch of service, rank, or MOS, they happen. And they tend to happen when your primary weapon(s) is/are kept in a loaded condition all the time, because one becomes conditioned to the circumstances.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    No, that is a lie told by folks who have had a ND and want to feel better about themselves.

The reality is over 99% of gun owners will never have an ND.

Considering 99% of gun owners will never handle or shoot 1% of what the respondents to this thread do I'll buy the 2nd half.

Talk like that discourages people from telling others of potential mistakes, maybe it helps someone else avoid a ND that takes a life.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom