• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olsigsalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    I have a Kimber Custom II with the night sights that shoots a couple of inches to the right at 12 yards. Is there anyone in the Galveston area who has a tool for this or who can help me out?

Thanks

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You really need to get the tool cause if you try and use a drift punch the hammering force can bust the sights and the tritium can leak out.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    I take it, it is a non adjustable, drifted sight.
    My XD was off a few inches too. You could see by looking at it that it had not been centered at the factory. I took a small piece of 1/4 inch key stock and a hammer and drifted the sight more to center. I still need to take it back to the range to see how it turned out.
    The key stock looks like this 7d81b9d5-83e4-448e-a345-dd4e703c6b40_Keystock.jpg
    Start out with lite strikes on the side of the sight, If it is shooting to the left, drift the sight to the right as you are aiming. If the sight does not move, do it again but hit it a little harder, some sights have to be hit pretty hard to get them to move but you don't want to start out hitting hard.
    Lite strikes, adding a little power to each one until the sight moves a little. You can put electricians, duct etc tape on the end of the key stock to help prevent marring the sight, but if you have to hit it hard it might scratch it.
    If this gun is a hi dollar item a Smith might be better, but the above directions worked for me.

Good luck.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    My sights are Tritium sights and I had not leaking, and I had to smack it fairly hard to get it to move.
    As a matter of curiosity, where would a person get "the tool" to properly move a pistol sight. I have looked on the net and could not find anything.

Thanks

olsigsalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the good advice folks. Dee I did not know I could break the tritium loose with a punch. I will certainly not do so. I used to have such a tool that I used on my Sigs but it is basically $90 for a one time use. The gun is new, perhaps I can send it back to Kimber with a few targets (shot from bench rest) and they can push the rear sights.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I would call around to your local gun smiths to see if any of them would do it. I had a set of meprolights installed on my Colt 1911 and it was $35 that included the rear dovetail sight and the front stake on site installed so I'm sure it would cost less just to move the rear site.

olsigsalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Good points

Good points made. I will hunt down a gunsmith. There is a shop in Texas City that can probably do it. You are right about mailing it. Mailing handguns to the factory these days is a nightmare.

Top Bottom