• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 260ZRED

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Houston
    OK guys I must be doing something REALLY wrong and I hate asking this but I would need someone to show me the basics of handgun shooting.

Basicly I am looking for somebody in NW (Cypress/290 & 1960 area) who can teach me how to shoot the right way. ALL my shots go bottom left!! :confused: I have a brand new Glock 26 and I have never owned a gun before. I am close to the Hot Wells range off of 290 and Skinner road.

So if you have some time and the patience of a saint please let me know how much you'd charge for a 'fundamentals' lesson or two. All I want is to be semi-accurate... and after wasting about 400 bullets I must be doing something REALLY wrong!!!!

Please PM me if you can do this and what you'd charge.

thanks,
    260ZRED

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Practice by dry firing to help cure this. First be absolutely certain your gun is unloaded. Put a target of some type on the wall that is in a safe direction. Practice pressing the trigger directly rearward while keeping the sights on target. Throughout the entire trigger pull the sights should not move. Do this whenever you have the chance to practice.

When you get to the range, warm up by dry firing at your target the same way you do at home. Then when you're confident of your technique load it up. Concentrate on duplicating the trigger pull you were doing while dry firing and on the front sight. Do not think about the gun that is about to go bang. If the shot still goes low left, unload, dry fire until you have your technique down, and try again until you get it right. If the sights are on target when the trigger breaks, you will be hitting where you are aiming.

Dry firing is free and a very effective method of practice. Practicing with live ammo using the same wrong technique does nothing to help.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Check out youtube as well. When will you be headed to Hot Wells again? I'm in the 290/1960 area. I won't be much help, but at least you won't miss the target alone, LOL.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    260ZRED, Right or Left hand shooter?? Is it possable for you to meet up with us for the shoot in San Antonio at the end of Jan? I'm sure there are a few people driving up from the Houston area, and I will be glad to help you. MG

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Too bad you aren't closer to Lampasas.

Wait, you are going to pay me?

You are bringing ammo also?

Have you thought about moving? Do you need a hand?

260ZRED

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Houston
    lol thanks for all the replies guys! I got somebody to help me out. Just need to learn the basics..I think I wasted enough ammo by myself. Going to see Matt @ the Shooter Station up in Conroe tomorrow !

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i used to go up to hotwells all the time your probably just flinching which is just a nasty habbit practice with the snap caps or dryfiring. it will just take time to get over it not a big deal.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    If you can wait until after deer season, I will be back to shooting at Shiloh every weekend. I would be more than happy to teach you what I know. If you cant wait, Ngoc or Mate up there give private lessons. Super people.

Top Bottom