• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    So, as some of you know I'm dabbling in forging with a goal of making custom knives. I'm not there yet, though, and one of my friends needs a high-quality, Texas-made Bowie knife to give as a gift in November. It needs to be high-quality and if it can be engraved, even better. She's in the USAF and deployed to somewhere she's not able to be specific about, and will be giving the knife as a parting gift to her "foreign partner" she's been working with...so the knife would need to be something he can rely on once Erika's back in the US.

So, we're looking for someone who's Texas-based, makes good quality, functional Bowies, can work via the internet with a deployed customer and ship to an overseas military address, and won't break the bank. Anyone got any ideas?
    Texas SOT

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My guess you should find one here.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I had a couple of the Texas Gun Collectors magazines, there were several ling for dealers of vintage Texas knives. Most were pretty high dollar & 90% of them caught my eye.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Black smith, Clock smith, Gun smith, Leather smith + Made in Texas= Hen's teeth / $

A bunch more you can toss in there like honest transmission shop.

Keith at Hill County is honest, and a Texican, and his work is exemplary

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    I have a couple knives from Mike Connors

and one from Bob Jankowski

I have given knives from both as gifts and they were very well received. Good luck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A lot of factors go into pricing a custom made knife. Size, blade steels, handle materials and last but not least, the reputation of the bladesmith. I fear $400 ain't going to be enough coin to get a forged Bowie style knife from an established knifemaker. Most Bowie style knives are hidden-tang design, which can be difficult and not as strong as a full-tang design. Hence, can be more expensive to do one properly.

This guy does a lot of YouTube videos on knifemaking. He is also located in Texas.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    A lot of factors go into pricing a custom made knife. Size, blade steels, handle materials and last but not least, the reputation of the bladesmith. I fear $400 ain't going to be enough coin to get a forged Bowie style knife from an established knifemaker. Most Bowie style knives are hidden-tang design, which can be difficult and not as strong as a full-tang design. Hence, can be more expensive to do one properly.

This guy does a lot of YouTube videos on knifemaking. He is also located in Texas.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of stuff in her price range that frankly looks like cobbled-together crap (with one knife maker who makes nice, functional-looking knives but claims to be selling "Damascus" for under $200), and a really stark dividing line between that and the $400+ pieces...many of which are just knife-shaped jewelry, frankly. Since my friend will be giving the knife to someone who's likely to actually need it to perform rather than just look pretty, it's becoming a real challenge to find anything.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Keith's. Working knifes, not shelf queens. These with an old Chicago78s boning knife have done more swine and venison than I can remember. IMG_0418.JPG

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012