• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points
    Background: My wife is "Conservator of the Person" for a childhood friend's husband (his wife recently passed). He suffers from TBI (traumatic brain injury--not service related). He served in Korea (primarily) and Vietnam as a helicopter mechanic. He was discharged on 15 January 1973 in Oakland. I found a multi-generational copy of his General Discharge under Honorable Conditions form.

We started in California (his lifetime residence but he now resides with us in Texas). I may be duplicating the California process but we have had no luck there and he doesn't seem to be a priority for them now since we moved.

Where do I go or whom do I talk to in Texas to help him? I'm don't even know what benefits he would be entitled to receive. We're in Seven Points just south of DFW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charles

PS I won't be back on the forum again to respond until later tonight.
    Texas SOT

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County

Here is a start. There was a fire many years ago and if by chance his records were lost in that he will need to locate some old orders or something to show he was in the service.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just PM me and let’s set up a call you are asking a very “it depends” question.

If you have a copy of the DD-214, I can point you in the right directions for all sorts of TX and VA vet services that will be dependent upon disability rating which will NOT be on the DD-214.

I can also tell you how to find out if this person has already received a disability rating from the DoD or from the VA. The documentation around that is what you seek.

Todd

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Contact the local VFW Post 4376 in Seven Points. They can help. Try to contact their service officer or commander. They should have all of the info needed. If they are too lazy PM and I'll try to remember the steps. It's not hard just have to dot the i's and cross the t's.

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points
    Just PM me and let’s set up a call you are asking a very “it depends” question.

If you have a copy of the DD-214, I can point you in the right directions for all sorts of TX and VA vet services that will be dependent upon disability rating which will NOT be on the DD-214.

I can also tell you how to find out if this person has already received a disability rating from the DoD or from the VA. The documentation around that is what you seek.

Todd
    Thanks Todd, sent you a PM

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points

Here is a start. There was a fire many years ago and if by chance his records were lost in that he will need to locate some old orders or something to show he was in the service.
    Thanks Charlie,

His service time was included in the records that were destroyed by the fire.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points
    Your local Disabled American Veterans office will be of immense help. They know the VA better that the VA does.
    Not sure if they will be able to help him because his TBI was not service related but it would be nice. I will be calling them and find out if they can help him.

Thank you

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Thanks Charlie,

His service time was included in the records that were destroyed by the fire.
    https://dd214.us/nprc_73fire. This info may help. I have a good friend whose records were destroyed and it took him quite some time to get his letter. As another poster said the service organizations will be very helpful. They have likely done this many times.

LaVbRef

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2018
    Seven Points
    Thanks everyone!

I've got the places I need to check and people to talk to about Jack's situation. Special shout out to Todd who was gracious enough to spend a long time on the phone (with my wife and me) answering questions and offering avenues of attack.

Thanks again and I'll update with the results when I have them.

Charles

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Your local Disabled American Veterans office will be of immense help. They know the VA better that the VA does.

Say what you want about DAV. I used them to help me file a disability claim, a year later, nothing had been done and they were hard to contact. Went down the hall to the VA service officer, no wait, he took all info, filed claim, it was refused (normal), filed an appeal, had a hearing in Waco (with VA rep and Service officer). Claim approved. Time elapsed once I contacted VA service Rep, 6 months. Left a sour taste for DAV

Side note: My wife and I are slightly more active in VFW than most, She was the State Auxiliary President in 2017-2018

Top Bottom