• ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    rotor,

What I like is that the TX Rat snake does a REALLY good job of clearing out the RATS that hang around barns & eat EXPENSIVE livestock feed.
    (FYI, I have a college friend who raises/races Running QH. - when he complained BITTERLY to me about how much horse feed that the !@#$%^! RATS were eating up/spoiling, I said, "Get a BIG RAT SNAKE or 2."
    About 6 weeks later, he sent me a note saying that the problem was SOLVED.)

yours, satx
    I agree and I welcome them. I hate squirrels. I posted a video here of a big one in my yard. I don't like venomous snakes at the house because of the dogs. I don't kill them on my acreage though. They have enough problem with the hogs I am sure. Live and let live is my motto except rodents.
    Capitol Armory ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I agree and I welcome them. I hate squirrels. I posted a video here of a big one in my yard. I don't like venomous snakes at the house because of the dogs. I don't kill them on my acreage though. They have enough problem with the hogs I am sure. Live and let live is my motto except rodents.

Rotor,

FYI, I'm REALLY FOND of BUSHYTAILS, cooked most any way.
    (Shall I send you my Grandfather's recipe for squirrel stew??? = I cook it every time that I have 8 squirrels in the freezer.)

Hunting BUSHYTAILS is "the major religion" of NE Texans.

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I nailed a snake with the mower earlier. Small under a foot long, with a white belly. My plan was to check it out after I finished, but was sweating to much to really care to walk back to it. The way it’s head was underneath the body I couldn’t tell if it was a viper.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Can anybody ID this snake?

1622828390687.png

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guenies.......cats are worthless.

Gee, that makes me think of GrandPa's favorite wintertime lunch: Guinea hen gumbo !

A story:

Turkeys ?
    We were in a marina at La Cieba, Puerto Rico, waiting for our captain for an afternoon fishing trip.
    My Wife, Lali, and a Lady friend, "Texas Girls", were in the back seat yakking.
    All of a sudden, one said: "Look at all the wild turkeys!".
    Knowing that there are no wild turkeys in Puerto Rico, I was hesitant to look.
    When I did, I saw all these grayish-black fat-looking fowl coming down a hillside.
    I had to laugh out loud ! Not turkeys, those are "gumbo on the hoof"; it was a big flock of Guinea fowl. I hadn't seen that many Guinea hens in one place in decades.
    Made me think of my Grandpa, Roy Holder; who would get an "envie" for Guinea gumbo once or twice a year and make Aunt Bonnie take him on a gravel-road search for the appropriate "star" for the gumbo. Once located, Roy would dismount and negotiate with the farmer for a couple of fat Guinea hens.
    Next day, we would have Guinea hen gumbo with rice, baked yams, & Grannie's home-made biscuits for lunch.
    Memories from "me youth" !

leVieux

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bet I can count on one hand the number of people here that know what that word means and how to pronounce it, and still have a couple fingers left. LOL

True; "envie" is a French/Cajun term for those desires we all get from time-to-time, and must satisfy to get it off the mind. It is obviously related to the English "envy", as they share a common root from Latin, but have specific different connotations. The French "envie" has nothing to do with jealousy, it describes a very personal desire.

Thanks for pointing this out.

leVieux

Top Bottom