• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RKHERG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2021
    DFW
    I recently found this gun on my farm out in East Texas (Douglassville), and I am pretty sure it is a old percussion shotgun. I gave the gun a rust remover bath for a little over 24 hours to get all the crap off, several hours of scraping with a wire toothbrush and sanding.
    I would like to see if I can get help making out the gun makers signature; I haven't had much luck. The gun maker should help me figure how old this gun is and where it was made. Thank you!

IMG_4588.jpg
    IMG_4589.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    Texas SOT

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nothing was damaged in the cleaning process.
    Depending on a hundred different factors involved in collectibility, cleaning IS damage, by definition, in many, many cases.

I'll second Cam's thoughts, here. If that was something old and rare, cleaning it is a sin against the gods of collecting and against your own wallet. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

When you get enough posts to be able to PM, you might want to send those pictures and your questions to Mad John on this forum. He's about as good as it gets when it comes to restoration, preservation, and knowing how to treat old, important guns.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey Ben,
    I do not mind making an informed comment on this particular piece.\
    I doubt that I have ever seen a worse condition shotgun, ever! Even some recoveries I have made for the aftermath of a fire. Even if it were identifiable the value would be practically nil. Some of the museum fire pieces I had to survey that were according to records were fabulous pieces of craftsmanship were unfortunately unrecoverable.
    This piece has the left barrel blown out, which is catastrophic in itself. Then to use rust restorer (naval Jelly) is the worst possible thing to do to anything! The illegible name on the top rib appears to be of a foreign maker. Hundreds of these were imported into the US for years during the percussion era. Inexpensive but serviceable guns for everyday use. Unless it has some historic provenance, I would not expend much time and or trouble researching it. From the pictures it is a sad unrecoverable "attic condition" relic.
    I am sorry but far too many neat old guns end u tis way. John
    There are many things to consider when surveying a relic condition fire arm.
    Any number of individual things to consider here. My experience in antique gun perseveration and care over the past near fifty years First and foremost is... is it worth the time and trouble? Or would I be better served to move on to something that speaks to preservation and history. This comes from handling literally hundreds of pieces of all types.
    Next would be, is there anything worth salvaging for future use? Stock, locks, springs or screws? Save what you can and time is money. This is up to your judgement
    A lot to consider and things really can be fun and a learning experience. Experiment and take notes too.
    I am most always available for questions.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I recently found this gun on my farm out in East Texas (Douglassville), and I am pretty sure it is a old percussion shotgun. I gave the gun a rust remover bath for a little over 24 hours to get all the crap off, several hours of scraping with a wire toothbrush and sanding.
    I would like to see if I can get help making out the gun makers signature; I haven't had much luck. The gun maker should help me figure how old this gun is and where it was made. Thank you!

View attachment 243952 View attachment 243953 View attachment 243954
    Makes for an awesome wall hanger. Let me know if you end up selling it. I am putting up a solid oak mantle in my office and could use it for above that

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Great web link!!!
    I have the six volume set which includes dates, proof marks and makers special marks, and guild signatures by city.
    Thanks.. great for reference! I hope everyone takes note!
    I was thinking Italian shotgun manufacturers. That's a huge list of most gun manufacturers and you can start with the F's, since that name looks like it begins with an f, and chase it down the rabbit hole.

Top Bottom