Target Sports

Need advise on buying my first shotgun (for home defense)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    mini shells are fun, but i personally find them to have a slightly less pleasant recoil impulse than standard low recoil buckshot.

i don't know about the new federal shells, but the aguila shells are shorter because the wad has been cut down, and provides no shock absorption. i can't remember the pattern size, but i wasn't very impressed, even compared to cheap S&B 00 buck.

reliability was ok, but i am hesitant to trust a piece of rubber that is just stuck in the loading port, not without making totally sure it will stay put.

i prefer an AR for home defense, less recoil, more capacity, more accurate, easier to operate, etc, but if you must use a shotgun, it doesn't get any better than federal flite control.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/12-gauge-ammo/50-round-brick-12-gauge-federal-low-recoil-8-pellet-buckshot-flitecontrol-wad-

i prefer the #1 buck load, but its hard to find, and 00 8 pellet is more than good enough

huh?
    Gun Zone Deals

Windrunner50

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    Fort Worth
    Remington 870 12ga....You can search for a used 870, look for a magnum or 3" chamber just in case. An older Wingmaster or Police shotgun with an 18.5" barrel would be perfect. Remember you can always use low base or low recoil tactical rounds too. There are plenty of aftermarket modifications for later.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Remington 870 12ga....You can search for a used 870, look for a magnum or 3" chamber just in case. An older Wingmaster or Police shotgun with an 18.5" barrel would be perfect. Remember you can always use low base or low recoil tactical rounds too. There are plenty of aftermarket modifications for later.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Nice avatar...

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The Remington is heavier (so less felt recoil than the Mossberg).

depends on which mossberg we're talking about. a 590A1 20" barrel is about as pleasant as a pump action can get. mossbergs are also slightly more user serviceable, and I'd trust a new mossberg over a new remington any day of the week.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

The OLDER 870 riot guns are GREAT, as are the Ithaca Model 37 pumps but I'm not much impressed with the new shotguns, other than the really EXPENSIVE ones, like the Benelli.

Almost any "former LE" pump guns that you can find, while "perhaps beat-up looking" will probably be suitable for home defense , as most are carried often but seldom fired.- Most can be refinished for 20 bucks or less.
    (I paid 130.oo for my current 870 riot gun that once belonged to TDC.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    20 gauge is all that is necessary inside a house (with the right ammo). No need for a 12 ga. If someone thinks a 12 ga. is necessary, then go ahead and by a 10 gauge. Hah!

Charlie,

With the right shells, a 3-inch .410 is perfectly suitable for home defense at "inside the house range". = 5x 00 Buck & filled the rest of the way with #6 shot is PLENTY to take out (or at least STOP) any predator out to 20+M.

Reference the BIG ten-gauge, IF you can handle one well, I would NOT be adverse to that shotgun, especially for rural home defense.
    (the old-school Ithaca ROADBLOCKER, with 3.5" buck, being my personal favorite.)

IF I lived in "Br'er Bear's backyard", I might very well invest in the BIG 10-bore gun.
    (As some forum members know, my childhood chum "Pastor Roy", who pastors a Baptist mission in North Star, AK, HAD to take out a HUNGRY Polar Bear INSIDE The Christian Life Center of the church. Roy said that there was NO doubt in his mind that the she-bear would have seriously wounded or killed at least one of the women at the baby shower, that the bear "crashed", had he not killed her.)

Btw, he killed the bear with ONE "close & personal" shot from his Husqvarna BA rifle in 9.3x62mm, using a 286 grain JHP.

Note: The ladies at the baby shower skinned, dressed out, butchered & "shared out" the bear meat, shortly after she was killed. - I "heard" that Roy was having the pelt tanned & it will either be auctioned off to pay for church projects or displayed on a CLC wall..

yours, satx

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    20 gauge is all that is necessary inside a house (with the right ammo). No need for a 12 ga. If someone thinks a 12 ga. is necessary, then go ahead and by a 10 gauge. Hah!

The problems with 20ga is that there are less acceptable defensive loads, and since 20ga guns are smaller and lighter, a load of equal performance will have quite a bit more felt recoil.

If federal or hornady made flite control loads in 20ga, I'd probably have to buy a few more shotguns

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I will post a pic tomorrow of some 20 ga. ammo I have that has .30 cal. balls in it. You'll never convince me it won't reek havoc on a home invader!

Reek? Does it smell that bad? :p

Seriously though, damn near anything can 'stop' a home invader, but some choices are better than others. 20ga 00 or 1 buck wouldn't be a half bad choice. Certainly better than #7 bird...

Top Bottom