• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    This will probably be close to getting me a "that only works in the movies", but maybe I can get closer.

So I have an AR-15 in 300 AAC that shoots fine, especially with supersonic loads, but is still very loud with subsonic loads. It's not suppressed (yet), I haven't paid the tax (yet). I figured that's just how it had to be with the extra gas and all.

Then on a whim, I got some subsonic 22 shorts, and they are quieter than my pellet rifle. Granted I am shooting them out of a lever action 22, so there are fewer things for it to do.

Can I get something similar with that AR-15, without a suppressor? Or even just less of a big boom? I'm seeing some stuff around about using 5 gr charges with 85-100 gr bullets and that coming out very quiet even unsuppressed. Does that sound reasonable?

Of course I don't expect an AR-15 to cycle with so little gas feeding it, so that is not a concern.
    Venture Surplus ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You want the round to exit the barrel right.

I mean, there is a reason 22s are used for that sort of thing.

You should probably search for a 300 blk out forum or a subsonic reloaded forum. I'm sure there are people out ther doing just what your talking about.

Report back.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Takes a lot more powder to push a 90gr .30cal bullet out of a barrel than a 20gr .22 cal bullets.

You aren’t going to get it quiet without a can. Unless it’s a squib. Those can be pretty quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I know nothing of the cartridge. However, I can partially address noise and powder choice. As you ponder the commonly-used powders suitable for reduced velocities, strike SR4759 from consideration. That stuff has no flash suppressant coating and has an outsized muzzle flash and blast, even with reduced loads. I've got a lot of it and it's great for what it's great for but it's crap if you seek relative quiet.
    I'm seeing some stuff around about using 5 gr charges with 85-100 gr bullets and that coming out very quiet even unsuppressed. Does that sound reasonable?
    Yeah, it sounds reasonable. For example, the current Sierra data shows 110 gr bullets at subsonic velocities with charges of Trail Boss almost that light.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Takes a lot more powder to push a 90gr .30cal bullet out of a barrel than a 20gr .22 cal bullets.

You aren’t going to get it quiet without a can. Unless it’s a squib. Those can be pretty quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeeeeeah I'm going to be loading single rounds and checking the barrel between each shot while trying to figure this one out.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I know nothing of the cartridge. However, I can partially address noise and powder choice. As you ponder the commonly-used powders suitable for reduced velocities, strike SR4759 from consideration. That stuff has no flash suppressant coating and has an outsized muzzle flash and blast, even with reduced loads. I've got a lot of it and it's great for what it's great for but it's crap if you seek relative quiet.

Yeah, it sounds reasonable. For example, the current Sierra data shows 110 gr bullets at subsonic velocities with charges of Trail Boss almost that light.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about flash suppression.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Since you dont care about cycling, you need to use a fast powder that clears the bullet from the bore and isn't position sensitive. Titegroup or Trailboss will give you exactly what you want but they will never cycle your action. Reduced load data for them is out there and they are proven powders for that use case.

Not sure why you want that with BLk when you can buy a can, run 1680, and cycle the gun quietly all day long but that is just me. Just file the form and pay your tax stamp, no reason to have a single shot AR that costs waaaaay more per shot that subsonic 22LR! ;)

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I used to load up Xtreme 150 gn bullets over Trail Boss. Stupid quiet but not very accurate.

Also, with an AR, you will have gasses coming back to the receiver unless you get an adjustable gas block and close it off.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Since you dont care about cycling, you need to use a fast powder that clears the bullet from the bore and isn't position sensitive. Titegroup or Trailboss will give you exactly what you want but they will never cycle your action. Reduced load data for them is out there and they are proven powders for that use case.

Not sure why you want that with BLk when you can buy a can, run 1680, and cycle the gun quietly all day long but that is just me. Just file the form and pay your tax stamp, no reason to have a single shot AR that costs waaaaay more per shot that subsonic 22LR! ;)
    You forgot the six to nine month wait, the two hundred dollars for the stamp, and the two to nine hundred dollars for the suppressor, all while trying to trim the grocery budget because another baby is coming and they don't get cheaper when they come in volume.

I have coons and possums eating chickens right now, and I already have the 300 AAC AR-15, brass, primers, and bullets that I hope are light enough for this application, and night vision optics to see them. And the 22 LR does not put them down.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I used to load up Xtreme 150 gn bullets over Trail Boss. Stupid quiet but not very accurate.

Also, with an AR, you will have gasses coming back to the receiver unless you get an adjustable gas block and close it off.
    I just got a can of trail boss, so I'll try it out. Already got the adjustable gas block, and I did wonder about that. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll make sure to close it off.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You forgot the six to nine month wait, the two hundred dollars for the stamp, and the two to nine hundred dollars for the suppressor, all while trying to trim the grocery budget because another baby is coming and they don't get cheaper when they come in volume.

I have coons and possums eating chickens right now, and I already have the 300 AAC AR-15, brass, primers, and bullets that I hope are light enough for this application, and night vision optics to see them. And the 22 LR does not put them down.

22lr to the head of a raccoon or opossum does work.
    A body shot will stop them from eating.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

And I gave you the two powders you need in addition to my opinion. If you run heavy bullets you can still be subsonic with slower powders but those two are really good. I'll refrain from giving my opinion on shot placement and the effectiveness of 22LR on animals that size since I have 4 kids myself and COMPLETELY understand not having money for the tax stamp these days. :)

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    And I gave you the two powders you need in addition to my opinion. If you run heavy bullets you can still be subsonic with slower powders but those two are really good. I'll refrain from giving my opinion on shot placement and the effectiveness of 22LR on animals that size since I have 4 kids myself and COMPLETELY understand not having money for the tax stamp these days. :)
    Yep, and I appreciate the reinforcement on the trail boss. I'll be trying it out. I wish I'd got a can right around when I got married instead of a few of the fancy dinners out with the girl I was getting to marry me. Little late for that, but it was worth a little overspending to make me think it was helping the outcome.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I was using regular .22lr, with a can, sorry.

I do have subsonic .22lr, but not tried them on critters.
    At twice the speed, a super 22 LR is going to be a lot more deadly and care a lot less about nasty possum skin. I went to academy and bass pro and couldn't find subsonic 22 LR, only short. It doesn't feed as well in my lever action. :(

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    At twice the speed, a super 22 LR is going to be a lot more deadly and care a lot less about nasty possum skin. I went to academy and bass pro and couldn't find subsonic 22 LR, only short. It doesn't feed as well in my lever action. :(

Have you looked online for any?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom