• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Can anyone cite a load from a manual that would allow me to load a 75 gr. Hornady A-Max bullet for .223 that will fit in an AR magazine? That A-Max is very long. The only manual I have that even lists a 75 gr. bullet indicates a 2.390" cartridge overall length. I've seen some magazine articles that tested these long bullets that supposedly fired them from an AR but did not indicate they were single loaded. I really don't think it's possible but..............who knows? Thanks for any info.
    Charlie
    Texas SOT

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    Have you contacted Hornady?

I am thinking about getting back into reloading 223 and want a heavier bullet loaded to AR mag length so I poked around some. Looks like lots of published data on the Hornady 75gr BTHP but not much on A-max, which is longer than the BTHP. You probably found the same Alliant Powder loads I did.

Lee

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've not contacted Hornady yet, but I did notice in their catalog that they have their TAP bullet loaded with a 75 grain bullet that appears to be loaded close to the (or just under the .2.260 max length). Just visually comparing the TAP ammo with their A-Max ammo it appears that it has a different ogive than the A-Max (fatter?). I think the A-Max is just too long to load for the AR magazine length. It appears the A-Max must be loaded single-shot only in the AR. I've looked for a bolt action or a break-open action .223 but all I've found are barrels with a 1 in 10 or 1 in 12 twist which is too slow for the heavier/longer bullets. A 69 grain bullet with the proper ogive that will allow an AR magazine 2.260 length is about the heaviest I can come up with at this point unless I can find the 75 grain TAP for sale. Oh well.........
    And yes I did find A-Max cartridge overall lengths at 2.390 but while experimenting loading the A-Max I also found that my bullet seater deformed the plastic tim somewhat so one would probably need a specific seater die to keep this from happening.

Top Bottom