• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I have a Contender with a barrel that won't detach from the frame - and, having read about the issue on several TC Contender forums, I now have removed nearly everything that can be removed, and still can't get the barrel and frame apart. :(
    Anyone know of a Contender-smart gunsmith?
    DK Firearms

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I have a Contender with a barrel that won't detach from the frame - and, having read about the issue on several TC Contender forums, I now have removed nearly everything that can be removed, and still can't get the barrel and frame apart. :(
    Anyone know of a Contender-smart gunsmith?
    When you say "detach" : do you mean the hinge pin will not slip out or the hinge will not release? As noted above if the barrel breaks open, you may have to use a little judious force to tap the pin out. If the barrel will not break open, you may need to cock the hammer and hope the firing pin is broken and jamming the barrel/case and locking the barrel from opening. If that doesnt get it, you will need to see if the break open mechanisim is releasing or frozen for some reason. That could be a real pain.

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Thanks to all for your responses. (I'm in the Alamo Ranch area of San Antonio...willing to travel a bit for assistance.)
    Yes, the hinge pin is out. There was no problem tapping it out, the problem started when I was attempting to put the pin back in, with the fore-end off.
    I couldn't get the barrel hole to line up well enough with the hole in the receiver...as I was attempting to align them, the barrel went into "lock" as if it was in place, but I still couldn't get the pin inserted.
    I attempted to take the barrel and the receiver back apart, but they wouldn't come apart.
    After several attempts, I went online and "googled" it...read up on the difference between older barrels and newer ones, split versus one-piece latches, etc.
    Several comments suggested dropping the trigger group, then pressing on something and the barrel should "pop right off."
    I pushed out all three pins, dropped the trigger group and (mistakenly, I believe) also dropped the hammer and all of its components out. I now have nearly everything that can be taken off and still can't get the barrel to detach. Another wise sage online suggested rapping it with a rubber mallet....don't want to try that....yet, anyway.
    So I've got this thing all dorked up....I've owned Contenders in the past, and never had this kind of trouble. And now I fear I couldn't put it back together without an assembly/disassembly schematic.
    (I've got dies, brass and bullets coming in daily...and every time something arrives, I kick myself for my stupidity...)
    All info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Happy to report that I have been able to detach the barrel from the receiver on my Contender! A brass punch and a quick rap on the locking bolt and the two components came apart. Now, I just have to try and put the whole thing back together, properly!
    Thanks to all who offered information and assistance.

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Happy to report that I have been able to detach the barrel from the receiver on my Contender! A brass punch and a quick rap on the locking bolt and the two components came apart. Now, I just have to try and put the whole thing back together, properly!
    Thanks to all who offered information and assistance.
    I just saw your thread and I was going to bet that the frame is stretched or the locking bolt is holding it up, this happens a lot with one piece bolts. If it’s a one piece bolt change out before reassembling. If your frame is stretched you will have to send it back to s&w . Need more info to comment any further.

gemihur

chillin' like a villain
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2018
    Cave Spring, VA
    It's a Love - Hate relationship
    ... mostly love!
    444 walnut xs.jpg

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Well, I keep trying to love the Contender...this is my second go 'round, having owned a Contender and two or three barrels in the past. I love single shot rifles for some reason....and may have to turn this Contender pistol into a carbine. It's either that, or sell it in my ongoing yet unsuccessful attempt to winnow down the ol' gun collection.
    I guess my real attraction is to precision shooting - and not necessarily the most technologically-developed, newest and most capable guns, but in getting the best performance out of any gun I take a shine to...and I find with the Contender, I just don't shoot it well.
    I have a lot of difficulty holding the gun still enough, the way I can with a rifle....and I have difficulty getting behind a long eye relief pistol scope, like I can with a rifle. So, I gravitate toward shooting one of the rifles instead.
    I was really interested in this Contender because of the caliber - 7-30 Waters, and found the dies, brass and bullets to reload for it. Still kinda intrigued by the caliber....
    Anyway, I can appreciate the gun for what it is...just recognize my shortcomings with it.

gemihur - I recently retired from government contracting in northern Virginia (Ashburn/Leesburg/Chantilly) and moved back to The Great State of Texas! Looks like you are in the pretty part of VA....enjoy!

Top Bottom