• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Ok, I got my first AR. I know, it took me long enough. I saw a decent deal and I got an upper to fit my lower.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some punches. I've seen things like a DPMS multi tool. I guess I want to know what tools I need to:

1. Clean the thing.
    2. Replace the handguards. I'd eventually like to get some handguards that I can add a forgrip to. . . . and the quad rails just look cool
    3. Replace the stock. Again, not going to happen right away, but I might want to replace my A2 stock with an ajustable, especially if the wife wants a shorter stock.
    Venture Surplus ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can do all of that with common hand tools that most people have around the house. Ideally, you'll get a stock wrench, but a hammer, punch and some care work fine for that.

Handguards, I don't remember how a carbine tears down but rifle-size guards can be taken off without a tool, so that depends on what kind of upper you got.

For cleaning you need zero tools. You can tear the rifle down for cleaning without tools... by design. All you need is a basic cleaning kit in the right caliber, solvent and oil, and I'm really a fan of greasing the bolt and carrier instead of oiling them. You don't have to clean an AR (or any rifle) all that often - just clean it when accuracy starts to degrade and you'll be fine. You'll get a feel for how often to do the rest of the maintenance by paying attention to how many rounds you can shoot between failures, but if you grease the rifle instead of oiling it, it's going to be a very long wait for failures, since most AR failures seem to be from poor lubrication.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Sage pretty well said it all. The Ar 15/M16 was designed o be field stripped with the use of a cartridge as your only tool. If you want to take off the handguards, you can use a tool for that but on rifle handguards, just do it by hand. To change or install an adjustable buttstock, you may need to get a wrench for that, but those only cost $7-10 or so. Punches, screwdrivers and other household things take care of most all other tasks. Places like Midway USA and CheaperThanDirt will be more than glad to sell you all the tools you need and some you don't need. There are many other companies that do the same, but these are the first two that come to mind.

Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    You might want to check the videos on Brownell's website that show how to do anything to an AR. They also sell every tool you could imagine and some you could never imagine. ARFCom, M4Carbine, and AR15Armory are good resources for what you might (or will) need as well as good how-to instructions. As has been said all cleaning can be done with no real tools including completely disassembling the bolt. Have fun learning how to tear into that gun.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh, a friend of mine has a Delrin take-down pin tool. It's actually kind of nice. But you can get by without it, no problem.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've gotten by with a boresnake, a toothbrush, and a cleaning rod for patches. That's actually my cleaning kit for all my guns. Boresnakes for the rifles, and bore mops for the pistols- purely size-convenience. I use M-Pro 7 for cleaner and Slipstream lube on all my guns.

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    punches are only needed should you shoot it enough to wear the springs out in certain areas of the lower. there is a handguard tool to collapse the delta ring when you want to replace with a two piece 4 rail guard, but can be done with your hands if youre strong enough. some rails are tight fitting and need the extra oomph to compress the ring assy. otherwise, the same tools to clean the bore and chamber of bolt guns will clean the AR barrel. The firing pin can be a bit of a pain to clean the carbon buildup off, but doesnt need to be spotless to run.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom