• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txwingnut62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    san antonio, tx
    Hello All,

I have been reading (and enjoying) this forum for a while and would like to pose this question for the group. From San Antonio, where is the nearest access to public land that is legal and safe for target shooting? I have seen postings in the El Paso section where they seem to have a location in the desert for this acitivity, but that is a little far for a days shooting. BTW, I have limited experience but enjoy pistol, rifle and shot gun shooting. Thanks for your time and I look forward to the responses.
    Hurley's Gold

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Welcome to TGT. Good luck on that search. I don't think you will find anything close, or we wouldn't bitch so much about the poor range selection in this city.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I know some real cool places in Nevada :D We just don't have any "open Public Land" to speak of in Texas. Somebody owns virtually every acre in the state.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Somebody owns the overwhelming majority of Texas. We need permission. Its a hassle but I'd rather we owned it than the government.

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thats going to be toughest thing for me to adjust to. (Finaly moving to San Antonio Saturday) Man It took forever to transfer.
    I'm used to going out every other weekend on a 30 to 45 minute drive in any direction and shooting a good 4 to 6 hours at a time. My buddies and I run some class 3 items as well and the desert is ideal for this.[video]http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=115413368518203&oid=100756653308159[/video]

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thats going to be toughest thing for me to adjust to.
    Yeah, it was really difficult for me to adjust to as well. I used to live in CO. Ton's of BLM land out there. I actually bought 5 acres in the middle of nowhere for my "camp" and the back side of the property opened up to BLM land. It felt like I had thousands of acres to myself. I was finally able to buy several acres of unincorporated land nearby, so now all is well. I still miss all that BLM land, tho.

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, it was really difficult for me to adjust to as well. I used to live in CO. Ton's of BLM land out there. I actually bought 5 acres in the middle of nowhere for my "camp" and the back side of the property opened up to BLM land. It felt like I had thousands of acres to myself. I was finally able to buy several acres of unincorporated land nearby, so now all is well. I still miss all that BLM land, tho.

I hear ya!... Other than the weather, the BLM land is what i miss most about living in Socal. I loved being able to drive an hour and shoot whatever i bring and make my own courses to practice on.

randomwit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    From United States Forest Service:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5426745.pdf

Where can I sight in my gun?
    It is legal to target shoot in the General Forest, with the exception of the Caddo‐LBJ National Grasslands, as long as you do not shoot from, down, across a road, have a sufficient back stop (not a live tree), and pick up your trash (targets, empty shells, etc.) when you leave. This is an example of referring to the Code of Federal Regulations. Target shooting is prohibited in the WMA on all units of the NFGT: Angelina NF, Davy Crockett NF, Sabine NF, Sam Houston NF, Caddo‐LBJ NG. CFR 261.58(m) states PROHIBITED: DISCHARGING A FIREARM, AIR RIFLE, OR GAS GUN FROM, INTO, OR ACROSS ANY PARKING AREA, TRAIL, BOAT RAMP OR FOREST DEVELOPMENT ROAD.

Essentially in all General Forest Lands. Not in WMA (Wildlife Management Areas) areas. General Forest areas are not joint managed by TPWD and therefore less regulated....or regulated differently.

Also, private lands less than 10 acres can be okay depending on the county and/or city in which you reside. Over 10 acres, obviously state preemptive law trumps the local douchbaggery.

Hope it helps. :-)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From United States Forest Service:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5426745.pdf

Where can I sight in my gun?
    It is legal to target shoot in the General Forest, with the exception of the Caddo‐LBJ National Grasslands, as long as you do not shoot from, down, across a road, have a sufficient back stop (not a live tree), and pick up your trash (targets, empty shells, etc.) when you leave. This is an example of referring to the Code of Federal Regulations. Target shooting is prohibited in the WMA on all units of the NFGT: Angelina NF, Davy Crockett NF, Sabine NF, Sam Houston NF, Caddo‐LBJ NG. CFR 261.58(m) states PROHIBITED: DISCHARGING A FIREARM, AIR RIFLE, OR GAS GUN FROM, INTO, OR ACROSS ANY PARKING AREA, TRAIL, BOAT RAMP OR FOREST DEVELOPMENT ROAD.

Essentially in all General Forest Lands. Not in WMA (Wildlife Management Areas) areas. General Forest areas are not joint managed by TPWD and therefore less regulated....or regulated differently.

Also, private lands less than 10 acres can be okay depending on the county and/or city in which you reside. Over 10 acres, obviously state preemptive law trumps the local douchbaggery.

Hope it helps. :-)

The OP has not been here sine 2011

Top Bottom