• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    If this is in the wrong group please feel free to delete or move.

6039dfd1573eab4a5ed45c510745ad6b.jpg

This first one is my step-daughter at the pinning ceremony as she graduated from Air Force OTS.

aabf9476c339273b08072865ad6af512.jpg

This one is my step-son after the gas chamber. Today he finished Army BCT and moves on to AIT where he is studying to be a Tanker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Attachments

• 6039dfd1573eab4a5ed45c510745ad6b.jpg
      6039dfd1573eab4a5ed45c510745ad6b.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 921
    • aabf9476c339273b08072865ad6af512.jpg
      aabf9476c339273b08072865ad6af512.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 917
    Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was in basic we went to the range to qualify first, then off to to the gas chamber. Afterwards those that did not qualify expert rifleman had to hoof it back to the barracks. Us Experts got to ride in the cattle cars.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    When I was in basic we went to the range to qualify first, then off to to the gas chamber. Afterwards those that did not qualify expert rifleman had to hoof it back to the barracks. Us Experts got to ride in the cattle cars.

He qualified expert on the rifle but just passed the handgun proficiency. Makes sense as he had a lot of rifle time. He was never interested in handguns

The daughter, however, being an officer in the Air Force only had to qualify with the Beretta. She nailed it. She has her own 9mm and is a very good shot.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Congrats man, you seem proud (as you should be). It's always good to have supportive family when you enter service.

I think the way they do it now is that they have it broken into three phases, with the first phase containing a lot of those kinds of activities (gas chamber, confidence course, etc) at the beginning, with basic range marksmanship being in the middle phase, though that might've changed as it's been a while since I went through it.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Yes, they do it in three phases after in-take. Used to be red, white, and blue. At lot of PT and physical work in the first phase. The second phase is almost all shooting. Third phase is field training , oh and hand grenades. He thought that was cool.

Now he is in his advanced training. I think he is feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I just found out that my daughter got her duty station, F E Warren AFB, Cheyenne, WY.

I was stationed there 72-74. Very historic base and very cold. Studded snow tires 10 months out of the year. Was a SAC base when SAC still existed. Funny thing driving up there just at the Colorado-Wyoming line, it was snowing on the Wyoming side and dry on the Colorado side. I always thought that's how they drew the state lines.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    If this is in the wrong group please feel free to delete or move.

View attachment 211096

This first one is my step-daughter at the pinning ceremony as she graduated from Air Force OTS.

View attachment 211097

This one is my step-son after the gas chamber. Today he finished Army BCT and moves on to AIT where he is studying to be a Tanker.

Reminds me of September 1967 at Fort Polk. We had to take off our gas mask and had to "sing It's crying time again" and NOT to close our eyes. Because if you did, they would be very hard to reopen.
    This was in the tear gas chamber.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Reminds me of September 1967 at Fort Polk. We had to take off our gas mask and had to "sing It's crying time again" and NOT to close our eyes. Because if you did, they would be very hard to reopen.
    This was in the tear gas chamber.

Yes, he just came out of the tear gas chamber. In his case they had to take off the masks and state the tanker’s creed. The boy is at Fort Benning for OSUT. Still does not have his FDS yet. He is hoping for Colorado.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I took basic at Fort Bliss back in 1968. They assembled groups of us around the walls in the gas chamber. The gas was released and we were told to go to the door, recite our name, rank, and serial number before exiting the tent. Everyone talked in a blur. Man, I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
    Thank you and them for their service to our country.
    I wish it was mandatory for all young people to at least go through Basic Training. Maybe it would change a lot of them into more mature adults with a greater respect for our country and our past.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The Navy used to send the ships and crews through a more advanced CBR training at a recently more well known base in Cuba. That gas chamber was far worse. They sent you in 25 at a time with your own gas mask but recycled filter canisters from the previous groups going through. All 25 go in, pull your mask off and lock your arms together, and go around the room saying name, rank, and SSN. If anyone messes up, you start all over. By the time you got out of there, snot was hanging to your knees and seeing anything was out of the question. Not much fun, but it would certainly clean out your sinuses for you.

Top Bottom