Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    ZX,

How many 'emergency' phone calls have you ever had?

I'm guessing none.

OK, this question doesn't apply if you're a first responder...

Actually, my oldest stepdaughter suffers seizures, so there have been more than I like.
    Fortunately, it's been about 2 years since the last one.

ETA: I guess since you might not have, then you never will.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I find it just as easy to answer the phone, as the ringing has already bothered me.
    Then, it only takes 3 seconds to verify that it is indeed spam, hang up and block the number.
    I am forced to do that too. Phone went off with spammer as I was voting.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Had a guy ask me to text him a price on a gun...against my intuitions, I did.....he didn't order the gun, but he did call me and ask me over for BBQ and again to go to a gun show with him.............I had to block his number.....never again...

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    No message if I don't recognize the number.........simple, block the number.
    You are not blocking the spammer, you are blocking someone whos number has been used by the spammer. That is the problem. It is not as "simple" as you think.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    When my phone rings and That number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer it. If, whoever called, doesn't leave a voice message, then I consider it spam and block the number. Also, if I don't know the calling number, I can hit mute and not listen to the ringing.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    When my phone rings and That number isn't in my contacts, I don't answer it. If, whoever called, doesn't leave a voice message, then I consider it spam and block the number. Also, if I don't know the calling number, I can hit mute and not listen to the ringing.
    That is one option but as noted earlier, you can miss important calls like from a doctor's office because that dialed number is not in your contact list. Voice mail response may be there but if you have ever tried to call back you realize how hard that can be. Every idea presented sounds reasonable but in the end the phone companies must solve this phony number caller ID game.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    You are not blocking the spammer, you are blocking someone whos number has been used by the spammer. That is the problem. It is not as "simple" as you think.

He’s right. I have an app that can edit up what number I’m calling you from. (really nice if I wanted to call from my cell phone phone and it pop up my office number).

I’ve been called twice in the last few months by people who are calling back the spammer and get me. I get both spam calls from local numbers and AR numbers (I have an Arkansas area code).

Spam calls are a part of life.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    The phone companies make money three ways - you for your phone, selling service to the spammers, and you again paying for a call block service. The phone companies have the technology to block calls that are not actually from the number displayed but if they did that we would not pay them to block the spammers.

Instead of a do not call list - which is just another list of leads for the scammers to call - Congress/FCC needs to mandate a "may call" list. Any business, non-profit, or spammer, that calls someone NOT on the "may call" list outside of normal business is fined and for every call. If it is spam callers, fine them and the business for whom they are working. Further, direct the phone companies to block calls not that do not correspond to the originating business.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    It's a huge problem. The telemarketers and spammers got smarter! They buy up local numbers in your area code because they know you are more likely to answer the phone from a local number rather than a long distance one. The spammers are spoofing real local numbers in your area.
    Not really, No name I recognize, no talkie. Phone has two buttons...answer and off. Push answer button followed by off button a second later.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    That is one option but as noted earlier, you can miss important calls like from a doctor's office because that dialed number is not in your contact list. Voice mail response may be there but if you have ever tried to call back you realize how hard that can be. Every idea presented sounds reasonable but in the end the phone companies must solve this phony number caller ID game.

This could be true, if you don't have them in your contacts. I have my doctor, lawyer, pharmacy, relations, friends and anyone else I want or need to talk with dialed in to my contacts. So, if any of their numbers shows up, I know who is calling.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    The landline is on thin ice anyway.

True. My 80 yr old mother is the only person I know who still had her landline. Nothing but spam & scams. She don’t want to let go .......... and I pay for her cell phone. Not in my contacts? Leave a message. Problem solved with the bullshit.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It's simple, works for me. Not blocking anyone, just not answering if not recognized and leaving no message. Still "simple". No issues.
    C'mon, man! Most of us likely pay $40 to $80/month for the privilege of carrying that mobile line in our pocket. We ought to be able to USE it for the purpose it is intended for. I have been job hunting for a long while. If I get a call from a local number, I need to answer it. Sorry, but I would like to use my phone for.....wait for it......personal communications. And I feel that, being the payer for the device, I ought to be able to do so.

Top Bottom