• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    A quick report

I had fifteen rounds of Buffalo Bore 220gr hard cast flat nose sitting on the shelf. The box shows these leaving the muzzle at 1200fps with 703 ft. lbs of energy. A bit more umph than the Sig Sauer rounds I put through the pistol first. LOL

This target was shot off-hand standing at 23' with a temperature of 65 degrees and a steady left to right breeze of 10-13mph. The holes with the dots next to them were my called misses. The other shots to the right of center were my stubbornness of holding too long when I should have put the pistol down. I had two failures to go fully into battery, but a light tap on the back of the slide sent it home. I'll have to monitor that issue.

All in all I'm pleased.

Scott
    49223821602_a68ac31d95_b.jpg

Attachments

• 49223821602_a68ac31d95_b.jpg
      49223821602_a68ac31d95_b.jpg
      112.8 KB · Views: 486

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Seems there is more to the story today.

While shooting I was vaguely aware of something lightly tapping me in the center of the forehead. I had looked and saw that my brass was ejecting approximately 10 to 15 feet away at the four o'clock position and didn't think too much about it. But it kept happening and I remained aware but unconcerned.

I didn't pick up my brass until sometime later and was able to recover twelve of the fifteen rounds I had fired. And then I noticed that most of the primers were missing while those that remained showed extreme pressure signs. No signs of hard extraction or bulging though. A quick search of the Internet showed that this is not an isolated incident. It was the primers that were hitting my forehead.

Suffice to say, I will not be using these rounds again.

Scott

Buffalo Bore 10mm 220gr HC FN
    49224933116_c1599a375f_b.jpg

Attachments

• 49224933116_c1599a375f_b.jpg
      49224933116_c1599a375f_b.jpg
      113.2 KB · Views: 449

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I haven't heard of this before. How would the primers come out? Gun unlocks too soon like Dawico said and the pressure blows them back out? In that case I'm surprised they left the gun instead of jamming somewhere inside.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I haven't heard of this before. How would the primers come out? Gun unlocks too soon like Dawico said and the pressure blows them back out? In that case I'm surprised they left the gun instead of jamming somewhere inside.
    If the pressure hasn't dropped before the barrel unlocks the primers can be popped out like that.

Usually there is some kind of stoppage also like the primers jamming up the works or the case stuck in the chamber.

I wonder if this gun is rated for this ammo. Good choice in not using it anymore.

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    I sent Buffalo Bore an email and asked them if the ammunition wasn't meant for this particular pistol. I'm thinking it might be designed for revolvers.
    The only malfunction I experienced were the few failures to go fully into battery when feeding a fresh round.

Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Update:
    I received a response from Buffalo Bore to my concerns about the missing primers.
    The thought is that I may have a tight bore/chamber and that this would not be an unusual occurrence for the given power of the rounds.
    Dawico opined above that the pistol might be unlocking too quickly and the pressure hadn't dropped enough. A bit of research shows that this is a possibility and has happened to others.
    So, while I won't be firing this particular load of Buffalo Bore in the Ruger I will be more mindful of loads at the upper power range. And I'll acquire a heavier recoil spring for those loads.

Scott

Top Bottom