Join TexasGunTalk

My Latest Range Visit

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Texas1911, Apr 18, 2008.

1. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's only the foruth time you've shot a gun?? If so, honestly that really isn't bad at all! Almost every time I go to the local range here, I would say 80-90% of the people there always have shots that look like they are using buckshot (think twice as wide as your group ;))

What kind of gun are you using? Just a quick tip I learned not too long ago. One thing you can do to improve your trigger pull is to do what is called "surprising your trigger finger". Basically, just ease on the trigger to take up the slack/pre-travel until you reach the point where it gets very firm (the breaking point). Then, just hold it at the break point, focus on your front sight (don't focus your mind on the trigger) and just slowly start increasing the pressure on your trigger finger and at some point the gun will just go off. This will help prevent you from shooting without a flinch or yanking the trigger inadvertently. Even if a lot of other things like your grip method are maybe not as stable as they could be, as long as you have the sights properly aligned, focus on the front sight, and just ease the trigger backward then 9 times out of 10 the bullet will go exactly where the front sight was pointed when the shot breaks.

One other thing you can add to this drill is to not let all the way off the trigger after you've fired. Some people have a real problem with yanking the trigger because after the shots breaks they will let the trigger all the way out and their finger will come off the trigger. So basically how you would do this is as soon as you've broken the shot, ease your finger slowly forward until you hear/feel the click of the sear resetting. Once you reach this point and it "clicks", stop and hold the trigger at that point and you will be at the sear break point already so all of the slack/pre-travel will already be taken out of the trigger. By doing this, your trigger finger will be moving substantially less like a few millimeters of travel as opposed to possibly ~1/2-1.0" if pulling the trigger from it's fully released point.

Here's a vid showing the reset thing, though it's not the greatest vid: Link

Here's another excellent video describing about the most stable grip method out there (thumbs forward): Link

Gopher, I'm not really hung up on the one hole thing. ;) The way I heard it described by someone much more knowledgeable than myself is that as long as you can maintain groupings about the size of your fist, you are good to go. Right now that's about the size my groupings usually are, so I'm trying to focus on follow through and improving the speed of my follow up shots.

2. Micro.Foosa.Cub

Micro.Foosa.Cub Member

Apr 3, 2008
    1960/AldineW'field
    Why, I'm shooting with my ray gun, of course! ((Beretta Neos .22))

neos1.jpg

I didn't get to the range today, but I'll make it back there soon and try out the tips you guys have been giving me! :D

3. Gopher

Gopher Member

4. Micro.Foosa.Cub

Micro.Foosa.Cub Member

Apr 3, 2008
    1960/AldineW'field
    Thanks, Gopher - I've bookmarked that one!

5. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX

Hey Cub, here are PDF versions of that target, easier for printing.

Right-hand correction target

Left-hand correction target

You're doing good! Probably need to do some dry-firing practice, I use an air soft P99 to practice.

6. Gopher

Gopher Member

Added to my list as well. Thanks

7. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Simplified pistol shooting techniques for accuracy:

Pistol shooting is like mathematics: A + B + C = perfect bullseye!!!!

A = Consistent grip. The gun recoils against your hand/grip. Change this grip even slightly and your pistol will hit at a different point of impact. Seat the pistol in your hand (preferably with barrel aligned with your forearm) and grip the handgun with a firm but not death-tight grip. A firm handshake grip is sufficient. Too much tension in grip will induce pistol/sight tremors.

B = Sight Alignment. Align the front sight in the middle of rear sight notch with the top of front sight even with top of rear sight. With a pistol like the 5" M1911, each 1/100th inch (.01") error in sight alignment is equal to one full inch of error in bullet impact at 25 yds. Ex: .05" sight alignment error will miss center by 5 inches. If you have a caliper, check to see just how small .01" really is. Or .05" for that matter. For maximum accuracy in Bullseye or target shooting, focus on the sights and let the target blur.

C = Trigger Control. THIS IS THE BIGGY!!! Nearly everyone can hold the pistol more or less consistently and align the sights but trigger control is where the rubber meets the road and misses are created. If you cause the sights to deviate from perfect alignment while firing the gun, then you reap the results of a miss (something other than a perfectly centered bullseye). Recommended technique is to slowly increase pressure in straight back direction while maintaining properly aligned sights on the target area. Every person has a "hold" (wobble) area. Don't fight it! As long as the sights are aligned correctly and in your normal hold area, increase trigger pressure SLOWLY and GENTLY. DON'T TRY TO GRAB THE TRIGGER WHEN THE SIGHTS ARE PERFECTLY ALIGNED. This usually results in a low and left (7 o'clock) miss for right hand shooters or low and right (5 o'clock) miss for left hand shooters. SLOW AND EASY TRIGGER PRESSURE WILL DO THE JOB BEST.

IMO, if you try to hold the pistol consistently and try to align the sights correctly, item C (Trigger Control) is responsible for probably 98% of shots that don't hit the bullseye. Unload the gun and practice dry firing in a safe place until you can fire the pistol without disturbing the sight alignment. Just my experience based on many years of shooting pistols including Bullseye competition when I was younger.

Suggested drill: Turn the target over and shoot at the plain back side, following techniques described above. Just hold sights properly aligned and in the center of plain target paper using suggested trigger control. Fire 10 shots and then turn the target over. You may be surprised to see a much smaller group than before because you were not distracted by the bullseye and thus used correct techniques. You may also be surprised to see the group centered in the bullseye because your eyes will naturally align the sights very close to the center of paper.

8. ctxpta

ctxpta New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    HUM

Well I have found that PINK ear protection cause a natural force field that make the rounds automatically miss the center of target every 7 shots. JK...shooting well. Better than 80+% that do CHL at our range. They are using something larger. I would think you are ready or very close to moving up in caliber.

9. Enron Exec

Enron Exec Member

The 357Sig rnd is challenging to shoot IMO. Ive put over 2k rnds through my Sig P226 and still have to focus more to shoot consecutively as accurate as my P220 in 45ACP, which is silly accurate out of the bag.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not a good caliber for shooting alot of rounds. It's much easier to shoot .45 or 9mm in high counts because they are softer.