• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Honestly, I have never owned a Toyota. I have friends that have, and the range of experience is from very well pleased, to wouldn't buy another if someone put a gun to their head.

So my assessment is, Toyota is pretty much like most other vehicle manufacturers. Both good and bad.

I’ve had 3 of them (two 4Runners and my wife’s RAV4). My experience is that Toyota is never cutting edge, but is extremely reliable.

I think that’s the main reason for the high re-sale value on used ones. The re-sale value on Tundras is so strong that it doesn’t make any sense to me to buy a used one.

5231HG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    East Texas
    My whole family buys Toyotas exclusively. The only complaints I've heard are that the winding springs on the seat belts are very weak. Otherwise, everyone's been totally satisfied.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’ve had 3 of them (two 4Runners and my wife’s RAV4). My experience is that Toyota is never cutting edge, but is extremely reliable.

I think that’s the main reason for the high re-sale value on used ones. The re-sale value on Tundras is so strong that it doesn’t make any sense to me to buy a used one.

Yup.

They trade innovation for the proven reliability that comes from continuously improving existing designs.

Little wonder that the oldest vehicles they sell - Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Lexus GX and LX - all lead the industry for resale value.

Innovation sells new cars. But people buying these vehicles as used generally don’t care about innovation.

The typical 5-year product cycle means many carmakers are moving on to producing new models just as they’ve perfected building the outgoing model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yup.

They trade innovation for the proven reliability that comes from continuously improving existing designs.

Little wonder that the oldest vehicles they sell - Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Lexus GX and LX - all lead the industry for resale value.

Innovation sells new cars. But people buying these vehicles as used generally don’t care about innovation.

The typical 5-year product cycle means many carmakers are moving on to producing new models just as they’ve perfected building the outgoing model.

I'll take reliability over innovation every day.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had a Tunrda for a few years. Only truck I've ever bought new. Was a great truck, but the high resell value actually prompted me to sell it. Buying it new and selling it was actually quite a bit cheaper than leasing it would have been.

I replaced it with a Land Rover so that I'd never be tempted to sell based on re-sell value.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How innovative!

6ed418bfd6318bd13ac03d998d3acb1c.jpg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I remember when intermittent wipers were introduced.
    Now they're pretty much standard equipment.

There’s a pretty interesting story behind intermittent wipers...worth a read if you’ve got a few minutes

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There’s a pretty interesting story behind intermittent wipers...worth a read if you’ve got a few minutes

There was a movie made about that. I saw it last year. I'll see if I can dig up the name of the movie.

ETA:

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I should add that mechanically, durability/reliability wise, Toyotas ARE the bomb. Virtually bulletproof.

From our 1974 Corona (in about 1974? 1975 or 76? I don't remember exactly, maybe my brother will chime in here in a minute) to the '77 pickup (an automatic that as a pre-teen and teen I THRASHED!! only knew WOT or FULL STOP), all the way down to now, I LOVE the mechanicals, construction, and reliability of Toyotas.

This is the first toyota, ever, that I drove that I haven't liked, and I'm 99% sure that if it weren't for the density of the seat cushion foam, I'd be fine with everything else (but seriously, when I say it's the loudest vehicle at startup, ever, that wasn't either a diesel or straight-piped, I am NOT exaggerating even one tiny bit).

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I should add that mechanically, durability/reliability wise, Toyotas ARE the bomb. Virtually bulletproof.

Sure as long as you don't get any of their problem children. And there have been a few.

Like early 2000s Rav4 that liked to eat their own transmissions. It isn't cheap completely rebuilding a transmission and replacing the computer too. What's even better is that Toyota tried to pretend it wasn't happening. They ended up getting their asses handed to them in court and we eventually got our money back but it still makes me bitter toward the brand.

TexasDude

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2016
    I had a '94 4Runner. I loved that thing. Never found anything it couldn't get through. A couple of days after I picked it up from the dealer, I had it on a muddy trail while camping and ended up in water halfway up the doors. It was only for about 30 feet, but that thing powered right through it. I sold it in 2008 and even with over 200k miles on it, I got $4,500 for it. I still miss it.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I had a new 85 mini-pickup until 94. 22R engine so it slung oil at 60k miles until I replaced the gaskets. Alternator and starter went out before that and replaced every ball joint before 100k miles. It ran great when I sold it around 130k miles.

Top Bottom