• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    First, good on you for starting down this (never ending) road.

Do you have a TC contender in 9mm? Can't imagine using a hand press for a semi-auto pistol round, but I'm kinda hard headed.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sounds great, once I get my rhythm.

I must have patience, learn how to do each step and do only a few at a time until I have my formulas just right. So far, I haven't even mastered de-priming!
    Depriming & resizing using a press is so easy for the leverage you get. Same thing with priming brass. Never bought into other tools & never did any reloading of an step infront of the idiot box. Reloading for me was about getting away from distraction like TV the wife & dawg.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    If you need someone to help, by all means do so. No shame in it.
    Or, get a Lee decapper and base. They are about $10 on Amazon. It just adds a step. But it also means a little less work to size too. If you get the decapper and base, just take the primer pin out of the die and save it in the box. Use a plastic mallet or a small hammer. They work great.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    That's so simple and easy. It's good to know it's available in case I end up needing it someday. But, guess what I did?

RedTray.cut.jpg

My SIL tightened everything up for me, and TA DA!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You have discovered why I dislike Lee dies, the de-priming pin holder. Rocking along and hit a crimped in primer and it moves the pin. I've tried about everything except JB Weld to hold it in place. Finally went to Hornady dies and problem solved.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    You have discovered why I dislike Lee dies, the de-priming pin holder. Rocking along and hit a crimped in primer and it moves the pin. I've tried about everything except JB Weld to hold it in place. Finally went to Hornady dies and problem solved.

I bought this decapping die a couple
    of years ago. I haven’t had to replace a broken pin yet but I have had to switch to the smaller diameter one and back a couple of times. Super simple and no need to tighten more that just over finger tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

That is a feature, not a defect. They lift to avoid breaking and tell you something is wrong with that brass. It is a good thing normally. Crimped brass lifts it, need to swage or ream it so you dont pop or crush a primer seating. Berdan lifts it? Toss it. Good thing usually

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My Hornady dies use the same collet system as my Lee dies to hold the decapping pin.

I use the Lee Universal decapping die to deprime all my brass before cleaning. This also makes resizing smoother. IMO, it's $12 very well spent.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011183740?pid=136543

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I bought this decapping die a couple
    of years ago. I haven’t had to replace a broken pin yet but I have had to switch to the smaller diameter one and back a couple of times. Super simple and no need to tighten more that just over finger tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We put a FW decapper on our 223 processor to try out and it is legitimately good. A few guys tried the MA ones but they didnt last in volume. That FW will stab right through steel berdan and not break so for hobby use they should last darn near forever. Self centering using a sleeve and a simple threaded rod to hold the decapper. If only he made it accept ejector pins, that would be gravy.

REM1875

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2019
    Clay County TX
    Make sure you don't have Berdan primed brass mixed in .....if you look to the bottom of the empty brass there should only be one hole (boxer Primed) if there are two little holes your pin is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It's not made to deprime Berdan primed brass (common in Europe and some European ammo) .........If pretty easy to get some mixed in ....

Top Bottom