Hurley's Gold

My dog got skunked (literally) - help please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Outside.
    Sorry, nothing is gonna make that dog "not stink" for at least a couple of months.
    If she seems ok in a week, just get her wet. You'll think you're back to square one.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    Do a search for De-skunking a dog and you will get many recipes for making the magic formula. The general consensus seams to involve Hydrogen Peroxide, dish detergent, baking soda, and sometimes Coke. Leaving this on the dog for a while, then like on every shampoo bottle, lather, rinse, repeat.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Too late, but don't use water. Try dish soap with some baking soda to make it a paste type substance. Rub it in and let it set for 10 minutes, then rinse.

The other option is to leave the dog alone and let him rub it off by himself, but don't use water or it will lock the scent in.

I had a dog that always got sprayed. He would do this thing where he would lay his front legs down, roll to one side, and using his back legs just run along the pasture dragging his body along the grass. He'd get far enough away and turn around, roll to the other side and run back. He'd do this for a while and then just deal with the remaining smell. It was always gone in 2 - 3 days if I didn't touch him at all.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Natures Miracle skunk remover works OK but it does take time. I put the dogs in the garage for a day and then rinse them again.
    I live on a goat ranch so animal smell is something to put up with on occasion and skunks are a stinky problem at least once a year!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'd rather have a dog that chases them off and/or kills them than one that runs away from them. But I'm out in the country, so we see them on a regular basis.

I've had both kinds of dogs. I'll take the ones that go after the skunks and keep them away from the house / barn every time.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I once had my English Pointer get WELL SPRAYED. = 40 bucks worth to tomato juice, dish soap & used coffee grounds later, he still smelled just as SKUNKY but with a tomato/soap/coffee smell, too.
    TIME is the ONLY answer that i know that works.

IF you dog gets SKUNKED a 2nd time, he is qualified to enter/attend/graduate from Texas A&M.

yours,, satx
    FANATIC ORANGEBLOOD

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Thanks for the tips. We just moved on acerage so i know its just a matter of time before a fur face gets sprayed. I would have definitely sprayed em with water if i wouldn't have read this. I guess the wife is smarter than me. I told her don't spray em with water if the get sprayed by a skunk....her response " I know, it makes it stick" :facepalm:

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Must be the same Skunk that is now a Resident in my under-house Condo living quarters. I put out some smelly things that may keep it away. Time will tell.
    I do not like their dang smell!

Good luck!!!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Skunks are night creatures. If you have one holed up around you, and you're out in the country. Go outside just before sunset with a lawn chair and sit and wait for the sun to go down if you have an idea which direction they will be going.

The usually come out at dusk when they're just enough daylight left to make them out as they walk off. I usually use a 410.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    Skunks are night creatures. If you have one holed up around you, and you're out in the country. Go outside just before sunset with a lawn chair and sit and wait for the sun to go down if you have an idea which direction they will be going.

The usually come out at dusk when they're just enough daylight left to make them out as they walk off. I usually use a 410.
    I cannot do it like that (not that I wouldn't!). It survived the Vortexameggedon so it can stay around, just not around my house!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Do a search for De-skunking a dog and you will get many recipes for making the magic formula. The general consensus seams to involve Hydrogen Peroxide, dish detergent, baking soda, and sometimes Coke. Leaving this on the dog for a while, then like on every shampoo bottle, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Does the dog get the coke or the owner? Would marijuana work just as well?

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    To All,

I once had my English Pointer get WELL SPRAYED. = 40 bucks worth to tomato juice, dish soap & used coffee grounds later, he still smelled just as SKUNKY but with a tomato/soap/coffee smell, too.
    TIME is the ONLY answer that i know that works.

IF you dog gets SKUNKED a 2nd time, he is qualified to enter/attend/graduate from Texas A&M.

yours,, satx
    FANATIC ORANGEBLOOD
    Why would he give up his job as Vice Chancellor at UT?

Top Bottom