DK Firearms

My church wants to build a gun range on their property. HOW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I live in El Paso Texas and my church is all the way up against the mountain. Therefore, the mountain would be an amazing backstop and everybody here would love to have our land facing the mountain as a gun range. I’ve researched it a little bit and have even called local government officials but it has not been made clear to me what we have to do in order to accomplish this. Some folks say it’s impossible, while others say it’s almost as easy as just bringing the guns over and getting down to business.

Does anyone have any insight, or can someone direct me to resources that can help us with this?

I appreciate any and all help. God bless and have a great Sunday.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Go to some outdoor ranges, several private & public to see what they look like. Take photos when you can. Duplicate what you like. It can be from very expensive with concrete slab at firing line, concrete walkways out to targets, permanent facing target stands at 15, 25, 50, 100, 200 yards and on out depending on space, shooting benches or a table along the firing line, berms around three sides (even if no berms make sure the firing line and beyond does not have any habitable or work buildings to either side). I recommend at the very least some sort of overhang under which the shooters can stay out of the sun and rain (probably does not rain much in El Paso but I know the sun can be a killer?). Other nice things: flagpole to raise the hot line red flag, unloading station, range officer's stand or shack with loudspeaker system or just a bullhorn, posted range rules on a large sign behind the firing line, 50 gallon drums for brass, rakes to clean up the brass, range house. Some definite must haves - first aid kit or better a trauma kit/station and at least a few folks trained in how to use it, the location of your range made know to the nearest medical facility, pone number of medical facility and ambulance service posted for all to see. You may want to consider fencing off the range so children do not inadvertnty wander onto a hot range (after all it is on church grounds). Lots of things to consider depending on how much you want to shell out.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Contact Nation Shooting Sports Foundation

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Check zoning, city and county. That will be your number one hurdle. Check insurance you will need range insurance NRA and TSRA can help with that., Check with EPA. Lead is a toxic metal and EPA will let you know what you are facing with remediation if you decide to close or sell range. It is not cheap nor easy to set up a formal range

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Check zoning, city and county. That will be your number one hurdle. Check insurance you will need range insurance NRA and TSRA can help with that., Check with EPA. Lead is a toxic metal and EPA will let you know what you are facing with remediation if you decide to close or sell range. It is not cheap nor easy to set up a formal range
    Exactly.
    I don’t know how many people you are talking about shooting, but the easiest solution is to not make a “gun range”.
    I know of a church that does this. It’s not a formal range, just some fellas shooting out back on Sundays.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Are their zoning laws for churches and their property?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A shooting club is probably a better/cheaper way to go as long as your property is of legal size location and distance to shoot on.

As stated an official range comes with lots of expense and legalities. And neighbor bitches.

Either way I'd love to goto a church with a range. My Church in Az had massive rec facilities, gyms indoor BB, RB courts, track, skating rinks, outdoor courts, soccer FB fields, snack bar and small restaurant etc. Thousands of members spent lots of money over years for that stuff.

A small indoor ranger and I would have spent 7 days a week there.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Contact Nation Shooting Sports Foundation

This.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Spend a few hundred and consult with a good attorney before doing this. And also check into what this does to the church's liability insurance policy.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Will this shootin' area be for church folk only? Or is this a true business operation type thing? Is this only for those that want a CHL/LTC but, would prefer that it be done only by, and, or, with others of the congregation? Is the "range" to be on, or attached to, church properties? Or will it be on private land(s) adjacent to it? How is access to the area going to be controlled? How about Range Officers and or instructors?

Settin' up a range is easy. All you need is good backstop, some targets, and your weapon(s) of choice. The rest of it is the hard part.

As has been stated, talk with the church's attorney and then decide on a direction to go.

Top Bottom