• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I own a remington 870 12ga. that I've had for over 20 years now. My parents got it for me for christmas when I was 12. This year I had a chance to take a few trips out to my buddys place in Granger and give it a go. I usually just deer hunt in South Texas and typically I'd just shoot some clay pigeons with it where it has always done well for me. In my youth, it also put down a bunch of rabbits and birds. During the past few seasons though my dove hunts were about spendin' time with friends and family here in Central Texas. Never all that serious or ever with plowed fields,dogs,etc.
    Over time I've put a lot of different ammo through this gun, from turkey loads to buckshot. This year I decided to try out a new flavor, winchesters xpert HV steel shot. I actually bought a case of it a year or so ago when it was goin' or 5 bucks a box. Boy was I disappointed ! On my first trip out, the birds were flying from 4-6:30pm all around the tank and I managed to bag 8 but had plenty of oppurtunity to bag at least a dozen. Throughout the day, I burned through the last of my sureshot hvy dove loads from 10-12 years ago. They are std. 2 3/4" no.71/2 shot, 11/4 oz loads. They were doing the job and after a few misses I started to find my timing. When I had to switch it up, I started to use some winchester super speed loads. They were of the lead variety and featured a faster but lighter load. I couldn't say I shot better with them but I did finish the day with the 8 and at least that's enough to make a dinner for me and the mrs. A day later, they were chicken fried and in my belly.
    The next trip out was just after the rain out there(believe it or not!) and we saw only a handful fly near. My second time out I don't think I fired a single shot through my 12 ga. but as usual, I couldn't leave well-enough alone. I decided to replace my modified choke with a full choke hoping to get some more range. I was also down to a handful of winchester super speed shells and had to make the switch to steel shot. I was confident then that the extra velocity would still give it similar knock-down power to lead. So I set out confident that it would bring them down.
    On this run, I got off to a late start but i was set up and ready before 5pm. The birds showed up in light numbers but still enough to have put down 6-10. Instead I got 3 ! As usual my friend Brian was doing his best to keep up with my shot to kill ratio and continuously remind me of my many blown chances and double taps. His senses were high that night thanks to a couple of large stoli screwdrivers. What are friends for though, and it all makes for a great experience. Throughout the evening, I had hit at least three more that fell to the ground, one even plopped right into the middle of the tank. I was amazed to see all three disappear even after blastin' feathers off them and putting them on the ground. Even the one in the tank eventually got to the edge and ran off right in front of my damn eyes! We finished with plenty of time to enjoy a couple of bacon cheeseburgers at Pancho and Leftys and stayed for a bit of Karaoke/ladies night. Of course my friend continued to razz me about my weak showing but agreed about the downed birds that still walked away.
    When we got back out to the place, we put some 22 rounds on a spinner/reset target while my buddy put his green laser designator on. It felt redeeming to light that thing up with my 10/22. It was a pleasant evening under a clear night out in the country. Time well spent, even with only a handful of birds to show for it. Needless to say, I have lost all faith in steel loads and the modifed choke is goin' back in before winter season. Overall, I still had a great early season, for the three trips out I got a couple of good meals and a little more dope on my shotgun. Pictures coming soon, hope yall enjoyed the read.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you tested the POI of the full choke? Changing the choke tube will usually change your POI. This can really screw up your shooting, especially on something like Dove.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Steel shot with a full choke is surely blowing out your pattern terribly. You can't choke steel as much as you can lead. You're probably shooting a donut at 'em that they're just flyin' right through! Also, steel is just all around bad shot. If we weren't required to use it on waterfowl, I don't know a single person that wouldn't dump every box of it they have in the lake. It doesn't pattern as well as lead, it doesn't fly as far as lead, and it doesn't have the same "knock down power" (I hate that phrase...) as lead.

Top Bottom