• ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Shooting range says golf association can't sue it

The Municipal Golf Association-SA's legal effort to close a rifle range near one of its golf courses, launched after two shooting incidents earlier this month, may be foiled by a little-known provision of state law.

The 1999 statute, amended last year, forbids cities or counties from regulating shooting ranges established before Sept. 1, 2011 and prevents such local governments from suing them without the Legislature's permission.

A lawyer for the gun range, A Place to Shoot, argued Friday that the restriction should apply to the golf association, a public/private partnership created by the City of San Antonio to manage its municipal golf courses.

The association obtained a temporary restraining order March 14 that closed the rifle range part of the business.

State District Judge Renée McElhaney postponed until Monday a decision whether to lift or extend the order, asking the lawyers for additional legal briefs.

Attorney Joe Haeggquist argued that the city was using the association to try to get around the law, pointing to the city's involvement in the association's creation.

The president and chief executive officer of the golf association, Jim Roschek, declined to comment on the advice of his attorney. Robert Wilkerson, the owner of A Place to Shoot, could not be reached.

The association sought the restraining order after golfer Justo Flores was struck by a bullet and hospitalized March 4. Two course employees reported a few days later that they heard rifle shots and felt a bullet whiz past them.

A police investigation could not determine the direction from which the bullet that hit Flores came. Lawyers for the range have questioned the second incident, in which no bullet was found and police were been called.

What bullshit, sounds like another attempt to close down a local range, much like what happened up at Bracken. If police investigations cannot find evidence in either case, there should be no temporary restraining order issued.

Remember a similar incident a while back where a school teacher was hit by a stray bullet several miles away from the range, and they tried to blame it on A Place To Shoot as well. I am not a fan of that range, I've been there once and wasn't impressed; but I hate when false allegations are made in an attempt to close down a legitimate firearms business!

Cheers! M2
    Military Camp

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Fixed the title for ya, and I agree. A place to shoot does have a decent instructor range though. Not much of a fan of anything else there. But hate to see a firearms related business get closed down.

glenn61

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Schertz, Tx
    Amazing that a judge can close something down without any viable proof that the bullet came from that shooting range. Goes to show how paranoid our society has become.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My understanding is that the golf course is 2 miles from the range. That being the case, it is unlikely that someone on the course would be able to hear a rifle shot from the range. If it were possible, the people at the golf course would be hearing shots all day long.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Good point, I hadn't even thought about seeing how close the golf course was to the range; I now see that Mission Del Lago Golf Course is across Lake Mitchell from a Place to Shoot. Using GoogleEarth, the closest portion of the golf course is approximately .95 miles from the range. On certain days it is possible to hear a gunshot from that distance (we hear shotgun blasts from the National Shooting Complex out on FM 471 past FM 1560 which is four miles away from us) but the alleged "heard a bullet whiz by" is pure bullshit.

I don't know what the issue is with the golf course, the range isn't close enough to impact their business and when their false accusations are brought to light it will look bad on them. There is a lot to hate about golfers, and when they make such unfounded claims in an effort to close a firearms business, there's even more!

While I am not a bug fan of A Place To Shoot, they do have my backing in this issue. It needs to be resolved quickly for their benefit, I only hope they have good lawyer to handle this for them!

Cheers! M2

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    I was at A Place to Shoot about 3 weeks ago, and noticed a few houses out there that looked like ranches with goats and horses and what not. It could have been possible that a stray bullet came from one of those ranch homes.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    My understanding is that they have been to court twice and Place to Shoot has been able to prove that the shot did not come from the range. I've been told that the city attorney admits this but is dragging his feet in an effort to put the range out of business in an effort to appease some land developers. It seems that some developers bought the marsh land behind the range and want to build a housing development there but can't while the range is there. At the moment the range is not doing well financially because it has had to close the rifle portion of the range and this seems to be our city attorney's goal.

This comes from my brother, who knows the owner of A Place to Shoot and has been following the situation.

Top Bottom