• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Word on the street is that Duke Power had fired an employee and this employee had the knowledge to inflict a lot of damage. He showed just how vulnerable we are.

The timing of this and the drag show was coincidental but, gave the media cause to give it even more publicity.
    To some extent, this is comforting if true... An insider will often have knowledge that outsiders typically don't.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To some extent, this is comforting if true... An insider will often have knowledge that outsiders typically don't.
    Before I retired, I had a conversation with our chief of physical security. I pointed out that there was one conduit running across the roof of a public parking garage, accessible to anyone who wanted to drive in during business hours, that, if cut, would kill the networks of dozens of federal agencies in Houston and take a very long time to repair, if the cutter knew what he was doing.

The chief told me to keep it to myself.

I never realized security through obscurity was a valid strategy for protecting physical infrastructure. Apparently so.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Before I retired, I had a conversation with our chief of physical security. I pointed out that there was one conduit running across the roof of a public parking garage, accessible to anyone who wanted to drive in during business hours, that, if cut, would kill the networks of dozens of federal agencies in Houston and take a very long time to repair, if the cutter knew what he was doing.

I never realized security through obscurity was a valid strategy for protecting physical infrastructure. Apparently so.
    A fiber was cut on a project I was working on. Within minutes DHS was at the site with fully automatic weapons. The cable carried some very sensitive communications.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    These aren't things I wish for the general public to know.

I have heavily edited some posts in this thread.
    I ask, if you know how to disable essential infrastructure, don't post it on TGT.
    It's not the kind of information sharing I want to be associated with.

Thanks.
    As a former strike leader and planner, I could not agree more=some knowledge is just dangerous and should not be shared

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Image result for shhh meme

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Another reason for solar and battery backup, but honestly when Sept 11 happened the first thing I was worried about was critical infrastructure like water and electricity. It's a completely soft target.
    There's no replacement for being able to take care of and provide for yourself, whenever possible.

Black Friday morning at 6:50am my grid went down... I had to wonder if it was an attack, and was happy when it only lasted 10 minutes. But, it could have been the same as happened in NC; my substation sits at the intersection of 2 highways, completely vulnerable.

Moreover, my co-op has no generation of it's own, with the exception of a 1MW solar facility, making us totally dependent on the extended grid and vulnerable to some attack even far away.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Also security through stupidity. As in not hiring people that can call a hard drive from a modem.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I wonder if this surveillance drone up today has anything to do with trying to intercept comms related to the attack, or other potential attacks?

Top Bottom