Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...it doesn't sound like some local retard...
    Yeah, but what bugs me is that any local yahoo can hurt people with amazing effectiveness if they're willing to fully commit to the act. Remember when that guy flew his plane into a building with federal government offices in Austin? Just a local who decided he wanted to go out with a splash and take some federal employees with him.
    ARJ Defense ad

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I saw some folks posting about no power last night and saw today that nearly 40,000 people are without power after several substations were vandalized.

Dunno if that's the right word. "Vandalizing" is drawing a dick on it. Co-ordinated attacks destroying basic, essential infrastructure is something else.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Is there such a thing as a "national" grid? I thought there were 3 grids, East, West, and Texas.

Now I agree with your sentiment, Texas should remain independent of any grid ties, and while independence reduces our risk, it doesn't make us immune to what happened in Kkkalifornia or (perhaps, we don't know enough yet) what happened in NC.

Ultimately, those other grids are something I care much less about than our grid here in Texas, and the question remains -- Does anyone raise their hand in favor of increased taxes to secure the grid (and after that, secure the rails, and the border, and etc, etc, etc)?

If not, then we have to own it if/when we go dark. We have to say, "Yes, we had examples of what could easily happen, we knew we were totally vulnerable, we had time and money (didn't I read about a Texas budget surplus this year?), but we sat on our arses and did nothing"
    We’ve got plenty of money already in the pipe, no need for additional taxes. There is just so much waste and mismanagement of the funds that are already available. The bureaucracy is not a good steward of other peoples money.

1) It boggles the mind that bids for road construction or anything else are not binding. In private industry it is not acceptable to have cost overruns to the extent it is tolerated in government projects.
    2) Departments ranging from the Sheriffs office, county morgue, dog catcher and every other office scrambles to spend whatever moneys they have left at the end of the fiscal year so they don’t lose that same allocation in the following year.
    3) Duplication. Within a mile of my house, I can get pulled over and ticketed by HPD, Sheriffs dept, Constable, school district police, DPS, and Metro Police. Each has their own support staff, their own maintenance facilities, different forensic labs, substations, etc

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Yeah, but what bugs me is that any local yahoo can hurt people with amazing effectiveness if they're willing to fully commit to the act. Remember when that guy flew his plane into a building with federal government offices in Austin? Just a local who decided he wanted to go out with a splash and take some federal employees with him.
    That's the nature of dangerous freedom in a world gone mad...

Would you prefer peaceful slavery?

Dunno if that's the right word. "Vandalizing" is drawing a dick on it. Co-ordinated attacks destroying basic, essential infrastructure is something else.
    Domestic terrorism is what the Fed wants to call it, and they have a solution...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Would you prefer peaceful slavery?
    Not at all. My observation was a jumping off point, in my mind, to think about the expense of physical security.

If someone dedicated to committing an act of terrorism is always going to be able to find a soft target, what's the point of engaging in massively expensive hardening efforts around things like the power grid? Sure, we should protect certain obviously assets. For example, the President should always have his very expensive security (though it's debatable if the current job holder can be classified as an "obvious asset"). But billions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades? I tend to wonder if the ROI would be positive.

I freely admit I don't know but I think it's worth talking about.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    A mobile substation was brought in today according to some locals.
    8216DB14-18F8-4910-B22C-5EB9495A7A85.jpeg

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    The left is pushing a theory that it’s right wingers trying to stop a drag show.

The right seems to think it is also “mUh TeRrOrIsM” of some sort.

I’m going with a disgruntled (former) employee, or family member, or possibly a cell being setup by an alphabet agency. Instead of sticking to the plan that would get them arrested, one went broken arrow on their own. (Tinfoil conspiracy rant over. :roflsmile:)

Someone also mentioned that it’s rumored the power company was having their annual Christmas party and was a skeleton crew at headquarters.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    The left is pushing a theory that it’s right wingers trying to stop a drag show.

The right seems to think it is also “mUh TeRrOrIsM” of some sort.

I’m going with a disgruntled (former) employee, or family member, or possibly a cell being setup by an alphabet agency. Instead of sticking to the plan that would get them arrested, one went broken arrow on their own. (Tinfoil conspiracy rant over. :roflsmile:)

Someone also mentioned that it’s rumored the power company was having their annual Christmas party and was a skeleton crew at headquarters.
    You mean something like this :)

1670291514597.png

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    My observation was a jumping off point, in my mind, to think about the expense of physical security.

If someone dedicated to committing an act of terrorism is always going to be able to find a soft target, what's the point of engaging in massively expensive hardening efforts around things like the power grid? Sure, we should protect certain obviously assets. For example, the President should always have his very expensive security (though it's debatable if the current job holder can be classified as an "obvious asset"). But billions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades? I tend to wonder if the ROI would be positive.

Well, the ROI is certainly positive if the alternative is the destruction of the USA as we know it. As discussed, massive expenses can be amortized if you believe time is on our side, making them not massive.

The alternative is to eliminate the need for security. If everyone in the world loved us, we wouldn't have to protect our stuff, it would just be the odd lone wolf here and there, which is not an existential threat. Since we refuse to pull out of Afghanistan, and we refuse to stop getting involved in every POS nation's woes (hello, Ukraine!), we're always going to be viewed as imperialist bullies, and we'll continue to generate new enemies. I'm no foreign policy wonk, I could easily be wrong, but I don't see a path to the USA being a global good guy in our lifetimes.

So, it's security or live with the risk of something that makes 9/11 look like a walk in the park. If we can live with the risk, then hey, rolling the risk dice is free if they keep coming up in our favor.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not at all. My observation was a jumping off point, in my mind, to think about the expense of physical security.

I freely admit I don't know but I think it's worth talking about.
    Practically, we cannot protect the entire grid.

But some elements of the grid can cause much longer term downtimes. We probably should consider hardening critical substations, yet if anyone is determined they will still find a way.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the FBI or some liberals. They tend to do shit and blame others i.e Juicy Mullett, LeBron James tagging his home, etc

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom