• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    If he is retired and over I think 62 or 65 he can claim exempt on the school taxes. Also Magnolia is nice, but it is growing fast.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    No such thing as exempt from school taxes. Depending on where you are, the school taxes may be frozen where they are when you turn 65 or are determined to be disabled by Social Security

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    If Grimes county avoid Todd Mission/Plantersville.
    Actually, map wise, these two communities were in my zone of interest. Why avoid them? Thanks.

It looks like my move is in the cards, but the current national situation is not going to speed it along so timing is not immediate. If retirement savings keep boiling away, I may just find myself stuck here and living off squirrels and groundhogs.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I almost wanna urge you to reconsider Houston. That place would benefit from more conservative voters.

Welcome to Texas.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    What is the best and most effective TX 2A advocacy group begin following?

GOA has a strong showing here in El Paso. In state, I’m between the Texas State Rifle and Pistol Assoc and Texas Gun Rights.

So far, I’ve joined two and leaning towards also joining TGR.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Actually, map wise, these two communities were in my zone of interest. Why avoid them? Thanks.

It looks like my move is in the cards, but the current national situation is not going to speed it along so timing is not immediate. If retirement savings keep boiling away, I may just find myself stuck here and living off squirrels and groundhogs.
    The Texas Renaissance Festival is all the reason to avoid the area. I like to refer to the area as the vortex of stupidity. Traffic sucks during the renfest. You have an influx of Rennies during it. Lots of flooding property in the area.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    I almost wanna urge you to reconsider Houston. That place would benefit from more conservative voters.

Welcome to Texas.

Well folks, will probably be accelerating my move to TX. In some ways, it is the worst time to try to pull this off. In some ways, maybe the best time. Bad stuff going down in the Northeast and as all the worst of the Blue State governors are ganging up to act by coordinated Emergency Declarations to impose even more restrictions and conditions on citizens to "re-open" the economy on a "Regional" basis. Think of every leftist wish list item imaginable, likely including gun controls that they could not otherwise ram through legislatures.

I am hoping that Governor Abbot is not going to pull a stunt like this.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Might I suggest looking at East Texas? Would still put you in fairly easy driving distance to the Houston area. And also not far from the Dallas and Ft. Worth area.

Lots of great smaller towns to choose from.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Might I suggest looking at East Texas? Would still put you in fairly easy driving distance to the Houston area. And also not far from the Dallas and Ft. Worth area.

Lots of great smaller towns to choose from.
    Definitely East TX. Even have narrowed down a few areas but have to learn more. Probably Waller or Montgomery Co. Most familiar with Harris, and a lot to like, but that County is looking way too Blue for my liking and I expect it only to get worse. That just seems to be the way that works these days. I was hoping to wait for the economy to improve, but may just have to turn a 18 month project to something closer to 9.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky

Welcome to Texas.
    Thanks. Personal reasons favor Harris County, but in my research I have found two great reasons for ruling it out. 1. Art Acevedo. 2. Lina Hildago.
    Focus shifting now more heavily to Montgomery, Waller and Grimes. Seems it could all happen faster than expected. It might sound crazy but at my age I just to not want to knowingly move into the sort of liberal environment these two represent and find myself constantly having to resist it.

Wilderness 1864

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Real estate agent suggestions for an agent familiar with the Hockley & Magnolia areas is what I need. A good agent is most important. A consideration is a 2A friendly one. I am going to have questions and interests in mind to support my shooting sports activities and prefer an agent that can discuss those requirements intelligently and without a hidden anti-gun bias.

Still moving forward with this plan, but I cannot fathom Abbott's bizarre Covid about face. I am slowing the pace down a bit while I understand more about what the political landscape is becoming. A $250 fine for not wearing a mask in public? He is getting as bad as our Governor Wolf, and even I do not facethat here.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    Since you know some of the area I live 7 miles west of Tomball in the upper North west
    part of Harris county.
    It is unincorperated with a Hockley Zip.
    I get this monthly mailer that has an add for Wendy Cline Properties and they cover
    Waller, Hockley and Hempstead in there add.
    Have no experience with them but it might be worth a try. there phone 281 858 3451.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My advice, ............. don't move within 50 of one of the large cities. And that may be too close. I've lived outside of Houston (30 miles at the time), outside of Dallas (again 30 miles) and these locations are now basically part of the city. Absolutely no reason to be close to a major metropolitan area. I've lived in Texas more than 70 years and am familiar with the "metroplexes". In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason (other than work) to live anywhere close to a big city. This is just my opinion.

I would second this. If you want to see the kids regularly, a one or two hour drive is not bad and the distance will get you a better quality of life. There are a ton of nice areas within 75-100 miles north of Houston

Top Bottom