• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw The Hunger Games, Mockingjay Part 1 at the Senior matinee today. It was not perfect and I had a few complaints but the movie was something that moved me personally. I did not read the books but saw all of the movies. I liked it, it made me feel good and I'm glad that I saw the flick.

The "Part 1" fooled me. Was this to be a "prequel" to show us what happened before the other episodes? In fact, it was not. In my view, the "Part 1" refers to a way of life that had gone on for years, is now over and this is a new beginning. That's my "take" on it.

Remember the last installment threw the train of Government providing security and the people paying "Tribute" for that assistance completely off of the tracks. This movie continues with that idea and the two factions: Government and the people have split, formed separate governments and fighting/killing/mayhem/propaganda proceed at full speed.

Our female warrior becomes the symbol of resistance and tireless efforts to propagandize her popularity and fame begin in earnest. She travels to battle sites, gets in the thick of the fighting and witnesses atrocities. Again, she is called upon to rally the forces of the people against the meanies in power. Donald Sutherland still makes a sinister bad guy!

I'll stop and let you see the story for yourself.

What I liked.......
    The scenery and scenes of devastation are pretty compelling. It was very well done and you got a real sense of what total destruction of a city looks like.

The aircraft and underground shelter scenes are very realistic.

They have a new crossbow weapon. It is self cocking and self loading! Gotta get one of those!

One of the cast members died this year and it was gratifying to see how they folded his existing scenes into the story. They could have simply cut his scenes....but they didn't. That was a classy thing to do!

There is a song that is used in the movie. It is simple, beautiful and memorable. I hope that you enjoy that.

What I didn't like............
    I remember complaining how the last installment turned our female warrior from a battle hardened hunter/killer into a goofy, love obsessed young lady. That continued in this episode. There were many instances where our lady ran crying into the arms of someone while blubbering about how awful it all was. No fooling.....that scene was played out repeatedly. Gimme a break!

People who had a steady diet of violence in their lives form a hard shell around themselves. You can see the toughness in their faces and in the eyes. After all the killing and violence she has experienced, our star still retains the sweet peaches & cream face that she always had. That isn't how people adapt to violence and it wasn't real.

Contrast her face to that of Brad Pitt in "Fury" and you'll see exactly what I mean. Pitt had seen it all and his face showed every moment of it.

In General...............
    There is no profanity or sex. It's nice to see a movie that can stand above those things.

There are scenes of violence but by today's standards, they were pretty tame.

In the end, what made this extraordinary change in their society happen, were the individual sacrifices of each citizen. The movie "Fury" sends that message clearly, as well. That's nice to see.

The movie is 2 hours, 3 minutes long.

I gave the movie an "A-". You can take the kids to it without concern and the ideas that they see will be positive ones.

Check it out! It's a great ride!

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I enjoyed it, but I get the feeling that Lawrence is getting tired of the series. ...or maybe it's the director's fault. Something about the movie just fell flat.

One thing I thought was very silly was how all those people bum rushed the dam and so many were mowed down. No attempt at armor or weapons; just bum rush. The soldiers guarding the place didn't open fire until they were about 75yrds away or so. You can chuck simple wooden spears with an atlatl from further than that. They could have greatly minimized their casualties. Also, fewer of the lubersexuals would have gotten shot if they had just turned and went hand to hand with their axes as saws instead of running to lure the soldiers into a trap. Where did they get the explosives anyways? lol...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good observations! Did you also notice that when the dam was breached, the torrent of water killed the survivors of the initial assault? That was a no-win suicide mission!

Wouldn't an air assault, artillery or even catapult launch been more productive?

Flash

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Good observations! Did you also notice that when the dam was breached, the torrent of water killed the survivors of the initial assault? That was a no-win suicide mission!

Wouldn't an air assault, artillery or even catapult launch been more productive
    Yeah, I did notice that. I thought it was funny that they set the bomb and then ran. They escaped the blast, but there's no escaping the water, lol... I'm assuming air assault is not possible because the districts are forced to be very low tech. A trebuchet might have been feasible, but it takes a lot of skill to operate one. I don't think they had the time to build and learn how to use something like that.

I suppose the insurgent's lack of desire to survive shows how desperate they truly were, but I'm not sure the movie is really that deep.

The movie got banned in China. Guess they didn't like the "message" :laughing:

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I have read all three books. A lot is left out of the movies, you would enjoy the books if you liked the movies even tho you know what's going to happen because a lot more gets explained.

BTW, "Part 1" means the first half of the third book "Mockingjay", the wrap-up will be a fourth movie, Part 2.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

BTW, "Part 1" means the first half of the third book "Mockingjay", the wrap-up will be a fourth movie, Part 2.

Good to know....thanks!
    I'm having a lot of trouble with my eyes so long sessions of reading aren't in the cards.....but thanks!

Flash

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My wife didn't catch the whole "part 1" thing until the end. She asked how many parts there are and I said there were three more. She responds, "What the hell? I'm done with this!"

I did tell her later that there's just one more movie... :laughing:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Haven't seen it yet and, yes, I'm asking for a spoiler, so - SPOILER ALERT!

Does she become drug-addicted in this movie? Or are they complete omitting that element of the story?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Woody Harrelson is the only addict in the movie. Maybe saving that for part two? Doubt it, tho.
    Pity. I thought her drug addiction was pretty important to the character development in the book. Oh, well. A movie can't show everything and must be judged on its own merits. I haven't seen it yet but when I do, I'll try not to play the "The book was so much better" game.

It sure is tempting, though. :)

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I forgot to mention that the song "Hanging Tree" is sung by the star. It's a simple yet haunting little song and very catchy.

"One of the most emotional scenes in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" is when Katniss Everdeen sings "The Hanging Tree," a song she learned from her father. The ballad becomes a rallying cry for the rebels in their fight against The Capitol and spurs the revolution forward." Quote Huffpost Entertainment.

Here's a taste:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/21/jennifer-lawrence-the-hanging-tree_n_6200922.html

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom