• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    I just saw on American Rifleman's top 10 rifles that the Winchester 94's built after 1980 have angle ejection which makes it possible to top mount a scope. I have a 94 but have been considering buying another rifle that I could mount a scope on since I was under the impression that I could only mount a side scope on the 94 because of the top ejection. My rifle was bought NIB in 2001. Have any of you ever top mounted a scope on a 94 built after 1980?
    I'd like to use it for a hog rifle at aproximately 100 to 125 yards with Hornady LEVEReloution ammo.
    Thank's.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I wouldn't do anything to a Model 94 they don't make them any more and if they are made after 04 or is it 05 (?) I can't remember, is when Winchester was bought by the foreign company that owns it now. You're is still American made I'm pretty sure and considered kind of a collectors item. Now I could be wrong on some of this any of you Winchester experts feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    While a late-model 94 such as yours doesn't command the premium that a pre-'64 model does (that's when Winchester changed production methods to reduce mfg costs), it does, as BC states, hold decent value due to production ceasing in 2006. Reportedly, FNH will introduce a new '94 this year.

Even with angle ejection, you'd still be using a scope mount affixed to the side of the receiver, the only difference being that the scope will be centered over the top of the receiver. Mounting as such will reduce the value of the rifle (likely to cause scratches or, over time, discoloration in the bluing). Just something to consider.

I'm not sure of different mounts available, but I will offer that the one scoped '94 with angle ejection that I have shot was not conducive to a very good cheek weld....the scope was high above the receiver, and the drop of a 94's stock is pretty severe.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    While a late-model 94 such as yours doesn't command the premium that a pre-'64 model does (that's when Winchester changed production methods to reduce mfg costs), it does, as BC states, hold decent value due to production ceasing in 2006. Reportedly, FNH will introduce a new '94 this year.

Even with angle ejection, you'd still be using a scope mount affixed to the side of the receiver, the only difference being that the scope will be centered over the top of the receiver. Mounting as such will reduce the value of the rifle (likely to cause scratches or, over time, discoloration in the bluing). Just something to consider.

I'm not sure of different mounts available, but I will offer that the one scoped '94 with angle ejection that I have shot was not conducive to a very good cheek weld....the scope was high above the receiver, and the drop of a 94's stock is pretty severe.

Thanks TXSUT, and all who responded. TX you bring up some very good points. I'm not all that worried about price depreciation since the newness of my rifle and the fact that they will be manufactured again makes appreciation negligable. I found my original manufacturer book and it states that a scope can be mounted. I have had 2nd thoughts though and will probably just buy a bolt action rifle and scope. I spent a lot of time today on gunbroker.com just pricing and comparing using a Gun Traders Guide book. There seems to be a lot of sorta good deals there but I've got a lot to learn about rifles, I know hand guns pretty well but rifles are still kind of a mystery to me.
    Thank's again, I may be needing some more help before long.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks clarifying my totally based on memory slight Winchester history recollection. LOL! So what kind of prices are we talking (mint condition for the sake of this discussion) for a pre 64 and a post 64 - 04, 05 or whenever win sold to the foreign company?

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Thanks Jake75:
    The XS System seems to work well with a Marlin and it probably could be mounted on a Win. Model 94, but I think I have found the scope I want, now I need to settle on a bolt action rifle. I might sell the 94, which I never shoot, to subsidize the new rifle.

Redfield Revolution Riflescopes

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I have a set of rings made for the 94AE that are indeed top mount. They are built to utilize the existing screws in the top of the receiver. They are also see through. I can go find them of you'd like more info.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Winchester 94s break down roughly as following, most valuable first:
    Pre-64
    Post-64 Pre-94AE
    94AE (Angle Eject), these come drilled and tapped for scopes
    94AE with safety

My personal 94AE is a 16" "saddle ring trapper" one of the first produced by USRAC, most of the parts are marked WRAC. I won't scope it but mainly because I think it would be rather useless on a 16" barrelled carbine.
    If it's a 94AE, it's drilled and tapped for a scope already, the "Angle Eject" was to accommodate scopes. If it's a 94AE with a safety, it'll never be as collectable as the earlier models, so feel free to do to it as you wish.

Eli

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I mounted a Leupold Rifleman scope on my 94AE. The best I can shoot with it is 3 shot groups, inside of 2" at 100yards. That's when I use Winchester SuperX power-point, 170 gr. ammo. Works great on hogs & deer out to 100-150 yds.

View attachment 2420

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    100_0459.jpg
    Since someone else posted a pic... I added the XS scout mount, a pine ridge lever action scope, Big loop lever, williams fire sights front sight with an adjustable williams peep sight. I also added the ammo sleeve, also added the Tac-Star light with pressure switch. I had to modify that one to fit correctly. Did it all my self and am proud of this one.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Thanks a lot guys! I had pretty much made up my mind to sell my 94 and use the money on a new rifle, and then you posted those pictures. Now I think I might mount a scope on the 94 and also buy a new rifle and scope. Then, of course, I'll need slings and swivels and cartridge bands for both guns. This could get to be expensive!

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    View attachment 2426
    Since someone else posted a pic... I added the XS scout mount, a pine ridge lever action scope, Big loop lever, williams fire sights front sight with an adjustable williams peep sight. I also added the ammo sleeve, also added the Tac-Star light with pressure switch. I had to modify that one to fit correctly. Did it all my self and am proud of this one.
    I believe that's a Marlin...

Eli

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Marlin 336 30/30. You are correct. You can do the same stuff to the Winchester. I'm pretty sure every part I added is also available for the winchester

Top Bottom