• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    You can do your time in the Military, and if you get out before 57, you can go to the much watered down USBP Academy where you are now called an intern, instead of a trainee, or an FNG. They suspended the 6.5 and 10 month exams in Spanish and Law. It wouldn't surprise me, instead of doing a minimum of a 15 minute mile and a half minimum, if it is a trot these days, and finish when you are done. It used to be challenging, now it is just a joke, and a second pension when you hit 57.
    Texas SOT

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You can do your time in the Military, and if you get out before 57, you can go to the much watered down USBP Academy where you are now called an intern, instead of a trainee, or an FNG. They suspended the 6.5 and 10 month exams in Spanish and Law. It wouldn't surprise me, instead of doing a minimum of a 15 minute mile and a half minimum, if it is a trot these days, and finish when you are done. It used to be challenging, now it is just a joke, and a second pension when you hit 57.

Lotta respect for Border Patrol Agents, and at one time thought about joining after the service.

First experienced working with them in the late 1960's when the Army unit I was assigned to at the time, a Hawk Missile Battery at Ft Bliss, was tasked to provide radar support for interdiction of drug flights from Mexico.

We setup our indigenous radar along the border, South of Lordsburg, NM, for about two months and worked along side the BP, vectoring their aircraft via radio to intercept and then follow the suspicious flights to destination. They lived in our tent city, and of course imbibed with us in the evening, scaring rattlesnakes out of the latrines along side us. ;)

Those guys were pretty much like the old time Texas Rangers in know how and getting things done along the border in those days ... heard some hairy stories, and some hilarious ones.

Wish they'd had a program like that then, although my French wouldn't cut the mustard ...

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    Lotta respect for Border Patrol Agents, and at one time thought about joining after the service.

First experienced working with them in the late 1960's when the Army unit I was assigned to at the time, a Hawk Missile Battery at Ft Bliss, was tasked to provide radar support for interdiction of drug flights from Mexico.

We setup our indigenous radar along the border, South of Lordsburg, NM, for about two months and worked along side the BP, vectoring their aircraft via radio to intercept and then follow the suspicious flights to destination. They lived in our tent city, and of course imbibed with us in the evening, scaring rattlesnakes out of the latrines along side us. ;)

Those guys were pretty much like the old time Texas Rangers in know how and getting things done along the border in those days ... heard some hairy stories, and some hilarious one.

Too true. I have both kinds of stories. :)

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    AMO would be a good time, and my military skills fit there, but I’d be taking a hell of a pay cut to do it. I’m a retired military member and fall under the military exception.

Based on CBPs page, it’d take 5 years to get to where I’m at now $ wise, and that’s a CBP total comp including locality, OT and LEAP.

What that means is the QOL (time with family, no shift work, weekdays only) is out the window for the next 12 years.

It’s right for some people, but not me.

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    I should go down there at the border. I would ask insane questions like I do in here and they would turn around and head back home. Problem solved! President Trump gives me a medal and a lot of money (maybe a GOV job)

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I should go down there at the border. I would ask insane questions like I do in here and they would turn around and head back home. Problem solved! President Trump gives me a medal and a lot of money (maybe a GOV job)
    O'reilly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    AMO would be a good time, and my military skills fit there, but I’d be taking a hell of a pay cut to do it. I’m a retired military member and fall under the military exception.
    Based on CBPs page, it’d take 5 years to get to where I’m at now $ wise, and that’s a CBP total comp including locality, OT and LEAP.
    What that means is the QOL (time with family, no shift work, weekdays only) is out the window for the next 12 years.
    It’s right for some people, but not me.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more acronyms!

Top Bottom