• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Put some money down on a nice Mossberg 500A for home defense. Only cost $175, still waiting for the NICS idiots to clear me for the transaction. It's everything I want in a self-defense shotgun, but does not have the heat shield. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it to plunk the extra $30 on one and install it myself?

I only want to buy it if it actually does a good job of keeping people from frying themselves on the barrel. If it's just a stamped piece of metal which makes the gun look cool, I'll spend the money on ammo instead. Can anyone tell me how well it works? Thanks!
    Target Sports

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I've owned a 590 with the heat shield and a 500 without it, it would take a near impossible amount of rapid fire to get it near the point of necessity for a heat shield, that's just my opinion though. I figure going through 9 shots as quick as I could would heat it up something fierce, but it really wasn't that hot at all. I think the heat shields are mainly fluff.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    I respect your statement sir, However the heat shield is a nice addition IMO.

I've owned a 590 with the heat shield and a 500 without it, it would take a near impossible amount of rapid fire to get it near the point of necessity for a heat shield, that's just my opinion though. I figure going through 9 shots as quick as I could would heat it up something fierce, but it really wasn't that hot at all. I think the heat shields are mainly fluff.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Only reason i have one on mine is becasue it has ghost ring sights and i shoot only slugs from it. But if you're down in the Houston area i have the original one that came on my 500 if you want it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Heh heh- careful what you put out there, Sarge. Just might end up with a gun nut on your porch expecting you to hand out parts one day! Thanks for the replies everyone. I owe you all a beer!

Top Bottom