• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

I have a youth model Maverick 88 in 20ga that I bought for, I think, $188 about 3 years ago. I bought the youth model for it's shorter barrel, shorter stock, and lighter weight to be a go to gun for dispatching vermin around the house.

While it has functioned perfectly, I would consider it to be a light-duty shotgun, and while it's value/quality per dollar is excellent, I would not consider it to be a high quality shotgun, by any means.
    Gun Zone Deals

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I will save y'all the preamble to this story, but a store brand Mossberg 500 20ga. was MY first gun when I was 9 years old. Although I foolishly don't have that one any more, I have not been without a Mossberg 500 shotgun for the last 50 years plus. I went through the 870 stage when that was the LE standard for a while, but I have always and still, prefer the Mossberg over the Rem 870.

The above said, the only significant differences between a Mossberg and a Maverick is in the trigger group and the few modifications to the milling of the receiver to accommodate the changes the trigger group presents; ie tang safety vs. trigger block safety. The only rea consideration in my opinion is whether or not you are going to go the pistol grip route. If so, that is the only time I would specifically choose the Maverick over the Mossburg.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I have one hidden in the house. Got is second hand for $200 but it included a bird barrel and a defense barrel, a shoulder stock and a pistol grip, and a soft case. I added a heat shield and something else ... cannot remember.

The main difference aside the trigger is the rail system for the pump that makes it kinda difficult to swap 500 wooden furniture on.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I have one hidden in the house. Got is second hand for $200 but it included a bird barrel and a defense barrel, a shoulder stock and a pistol grip, and a soft case. I added a heat shield and something else ... cannot remember.

The main difference aside the trigger is the rail system for the pump that makes it kinda difficult to swap 500 wooden furniture on.
    True. Some of the early Mavericks had only one operating rod.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The Maverick 88 line of Mossberg shotguns are manufactured in Eagle Pass, TX.

Maybe that’s why they hold up so well, because TEXAS!! That’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Welcome to TGT.
    OK1.jpeg

citizen_zero

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    North of DFW
    I bought my Maverick 88, the security version, a couple months back and have it set up with a side saddle and a light and that's it for home defense.I've considered swapping the stock for a magpul SGA Stock but not sure I need to spend any more money on it. I took it to the range a couple weeks back to put some rounds through it and it was flawless. Taking it out again tomorrow. It's just a simple little 18.5" barrel pump action shotgun and fun to shoot as shotguns go. I''ll never sell it.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I bought my Maverick 88, the security version, a couple months back and have it set up with a side saddle and a light and that's it for home defense.I've considered swapping the stock for a magpul SGA Stock but not sure I need to spend any more money on it. I took it to the range a couple weeks back to put some rounds through it and it was flawless. Taking it out again tomorrow. It's just a simple little 18.5" barrel pump action shotgun and fun to shoot as shotguns go. I''ll never sell it.

What light did you put on it? How’s it holding up?

citizen_zero

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    North of DFW
    What light did you put on it? How’s it holding up?

SureFire G2X LE with an Elzetta Shotgun flashlight mount. So far no issues at all. Has held up really well. I've only put about 50 rounds through it so far but the setup feels extremely solid and I don't think it will fall apart any time soon.

Top Bottom