Guns International

Mossberg 940 Pro Tac or keep my Benelli M1 Super 90?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I'm liking the Mossberg 940 Pro Tac. The RMR pattern optics cut, self-cleaning gas system, large charging handle & bolt release, enlarged loading slot, etc., all make it attractive to me. It's getting great reviews and has done well in TFB TV's torture test. And it's reasonably affordable.

Right now my home defense shotgun is a 'pre-ban' H&K marked Benelli M1 Super 90. It has the regular stock and rifle-style sights. I've got a clamp-on Picatinny rail and weapon light, nothing else (I'm keeping the weapon light). I'm thinking of selling the Benelli to buy the Mossberg.

Questions:

- How much do you think I can get for my Benelli? (unmodified in very good condition, not fired much, a few minor scratches on the stock)
    - The cheapest I've seen for the 940 is $1000. Is the price expected to drop further?
    - Why do you think I should/shouldn't do this?

Your input is appreciated. Thanks!
    <><>

TFB TV Mossberg 940 Pro Tac review & torture test:

<><>

My Benelli M1 Super 90:

benelli_m1super90.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    First of all. Welcome to TGT.

Second, there are some very clear rules regarding trying to sell here on the forum.

Don't be surprised if this thread ends up being deleted. Just saying,

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    First of all. Welcome to TGT.

Second, there are some very clear rules regarding trying to sell here on the forum.

Don't be surprised if this thread ends up being deleted. Just saying,
    I'm not trying to sell a gun on this forum. My post is not a classified ad. I'm asking for info and opinions. That's it.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Keep the Benelli. Mrs. Hoji and I have a his and her set of Benelli shotguns. She has the M1-super 90 ( also HK stamped) and I have the M4.
    Both guns have been flawless and have been on multiple helicopter pig hunts and performed with zero issues.

The mossy is a good gun, but probably not good in the same tier as your Benelli.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Keep the Benelli. Mrs. Hoji and I have a his and her set of Benelli shotguns. She has the M1-super 90 ( also HK stamped) and I have the M4.
    Both guns have been flawless and have been on multiple helicopter pig hunts and performed with zero issues.

The mossy is a good gun, but probably not good in the same tier as your Benelli.
    Benelli is the Caddy of shotguns.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin

I wish I could put a red-dot on my Benelli without drilling the receiver.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    The answer to your problem. Mounts between stock and receiver. FYI, the internet is your friend.

Amazon product ASIN B00794LFF4
    Cool, thanks! I'm going to look around for a Picatinny rail version like that. I have an Aimpoint red-dot I'd like to use.

EDIT:
    I looked around and found that mounting my full-size Aimpoint isn't a good idea. Apparently the extra weight of the optic and mount causes cycling problems. And there's really not a good Picatinny rail solution for the M1. I guess I'd have to buy a micro red-dot and go with the Burris SpeedBead mount.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Cool, thanks! I'm going to look around for a Picatinny rail version like that. I have an Aimpoint red-dot I'd like to use.

EDIT:
    I looked around and found that mounting my full-size Aimpoint isn't a good idea. Apparently the extra weight of the optic and mount causes cycling problems. And there's really not a good Picatinny rail solution for the M1. I guess I'd have to buy a micro red-dot and go with the Burris SpeedBead mount.
    Burris FF3 mounts will also fit Vortex red dots. PSA has got the Vortex Viper and Venom on super sale right now.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I guess I'll keep the Benelli and wait until I can afford a Mossberg 940.

My issues with my M1 are:

- Can't easily mount optics.
    - No night sights.
    - The roller lock action is very weight sensitive. I worry about even putting a sidesaddle ammo carrier on it.
    - Recoil is pretty stiff compared to gas operated guns.
    - Doesn't function well with light loads.
    - It's very difficult to find accessories and replacement parts for it, either OEM or aftermarket.

That being said it's still a great basic combat shotgun.

Top Bottom