• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I have a plain jane Mossberg 590 as my primary home defence weapon. I'm toying with the idea of changing the stock to one that has a pistol grip; but keeps the standard stock.

I don't care about about how cool some people think it is. What are real plus or minus of installing a shotgun pistol grip?

Thanks
    Lynx Defense

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    There are also some recoil reducing stocks in that configuration. I have one of these and it works well. One caveat; this stock, and some other replacement stocks, will change the comb drop and might make it harder to sight down the barrel. The recoil reduction works really well - I can shoot it all day and not feel any soreness at all.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Thanks for the input. I've viewed several other forums about shotgun pistol grips the past few days. Seems to be no middle of the road
    opinions on them. It seems no one likes pistol grip only shot guns. An estimated 30% like pistol grips w\shoulder stock. The remaining
    70% say stay with a standard stock.

I think I going to try one. I like Greg_TX's set up. The recoil reduction may even allow my wife to shoot it. I hope so.

I'll take it to the farm and trim some trees. If I don't like it I'll give it to my shiftless brother-in-law.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've got a Mossy 500 Persuader with a pistol grip and love it! I shoot it about once a year, and yes it does hurt but given its only use would be in a home/self defense situation, I'm not too worried about it!

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have a plain jane Mossberg 590 as my primary home defence weapon. I'm toying with the idea of changing the stock to one that has a pistol grip; but keeps the standard stock.

I don't care about about how cool some people think it is. What are real plus or minus of installing a shotgun pistol grip?

Thanks

Clarify: Do you mean a setup with a stock AND pistol grip, or do you mean to do away with the stock and just run a pistol grip?

If you want a stock with a pistol grip, it can be a good setup on a tactical shotgun - it helps you remember good form with your elbow down, it can aid in recoil control, it can make manipulation for reloads etc. easier, it can make one-handed shooting easier to do... The downside is that it's a Mossberg, so your safety isn't readily accessible. This is bad, because your safety needs to be engaged until you're swinging the weapon up and on target with the intent to engage. Unless you're about to shoot someone, the safety needs to stay on and the shotgun should be kept at a "ready" position, not up and aimed at something/someone. For the Mossberg, I'd recommend against this kind of stock.

If you mean a pistol grip only, like a Mossberg Cruiser, the up side is that you can still use the safety and it apparently looks super cool. The downside is that you can no longer properly aim the weapon and if you try to aim, you're probably going to knock your teeth out. I'd recommend against this kind of stock for any and all shotguns unless they're short little breaching shotguns. Shotguns need stocks on them.

If you want a recoil reducing stock, for the Mossberg and its tang safety, I would go with a Knoxx Compstock. I've come to dislike the Knoxx Specops for a few reasons, and am switching my 870 over to a standard poly buttstock.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I have a Speedfed III stock on mine. I does the job. I have not noticed any point to aim issues and the fit is good. Plus it has a spot for two extra rounds.

TxDeputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    North-East Texas
    Alice 6.jpg
    +1 Speedfeed Stock.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    SpecOps adjustable on my 590, Kxoxx Breachers Grip on my 1300 ; like them both for their purposes. The breacher is to stick with a shorter package. Couple times I have used it to clear my place of business after break ins. The size is perfect. The Specops is for outside of the house.

Attachments

• 590.jpg
      590.jpg
      54 KB · Views: 140
    • 1300.jpg
      1300.jpg
      43.6 KB · Views: 150
    Top Bottom