• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    I just bought an older Mossberg 500A. 12 ga. 29" barrel. Installed 20" barrel with longer tube. Now I notice that when gun is pumped the safety/fire button will move. About 10% of the time it will move enough to put it into safety and will not fire until button is pushed forward to fire position.

I disassembled it enough to remove the safety parts and cleaned them up real good. Also made sure screw was good and tight. Still does it.

Anyone out there experience similar problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks in advance.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    The detent ball did not come out when I removed safety. It is held in place there. Should it have popped out? Maybe that's my problem. It has spring under it. I can push it down it comes back up to original position when I remove pressure. It stays in place when I turn it upside down too. I cleaned everything real good. What would be holding it in there? Not sure how to get it out.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I think it would have fell out when you turned it upside down. Maybe there is gunk in there preventing it to come out enough to keep the safety in place? Or maybe the spring is weak? I don't know. The plastic safety on mossbergs is a weak point anyway. It's a good idea to replace them with a metal one anyway, because it is common for them to break. They're cheap and usually come with a new spring and detent ball. If you plan on keeping the plastic safety maybe get the ball out and clean up the hole with a dental pick, just in case there is gunk in there.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I'm sorry to hear that Mossberg still has this weak point. The thumb safety is a good idea on paper - especially for lefties, but it is why I burned bridges w Mossberg shotties & went with Remington nearly 40 years ago. Good luck.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    That detent ball should be popping out pretty easy. I've lost all few due to that! Grab a metal safety and new spring and ball; worth it. You can look at paddle safeties that are larger and much more "tactical" (easier to switch off) for SHTF scenarios.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    Thanks for info. I've ordered all those parts then some more. Gonna rebuild the safety. Ordered both metal and oversized switches. Try em both. Thanks.

Top Bottom