• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WAXTRAX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2021
    Carrollton TX 75007
    I got 2 Mosin Nagants off my brother in law years back and just made a good deal selling the nicer one and some Ammo on here. The second one has stampings that have me scratching my head. I know you guys have tons more knowledge in one place than Google so I figured some schooling could be had at y'alls expense.

Stampings indicate a rifle from 1943, but reworked in a separate factory in the 90s.

Stamping is : MOLOT-ORUZHIE LTD
    VYATSKIE POLYANY RUSSIA

I do not see any other caliber or gauge stampings. I read this below in Wikipedia and this lead me here to you guys:

In recent years, Molot has produced shotgun variants of the Mosin-Nagant rifle, the SKS carbine and the AKM rifle for the Russian civilian firearms market utilising the "Lancaster" rifling and up-necked, shotgun versions of the 7.62x54R and 7.62x39mm cartridges (Under Russian law, gun owners must hold a shotgun licence for five years in order to get a rifle licence).

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
    Military Camp

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    The Mosin shotguns are a somewhat rare postwar modification. Here's an article published in 1958 about hunting in the Soviet Union by Nicholas Orloff, who discusses the various shotguns available to Soviet hunters including a 32-guage modified Mosin rifle...

1631103965705.png

The are commonly called Frolovka in honor of Frolov who came up with the conversion process at TOZ.

Here's more info on them...

And another variant from the now sadly-defunct 7.62x54r.net website...

And yet another variant...

Molot may have simply only imported the firearm, they were one of several companies that did so and the Russian government required them to add additional markings to the rifle/shotgun. I wouldn't expect them to be converting old Mosins into shotguns as late as the 1990s when they were building AK-based ones...

WAXTRAX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2021
    Carrollton TX 75007
    The Mosin shotguns are a somewhat rare postwar modification. Here's an article published in 1958 about hunting in the Soviet Union by Nicholas Orloff, who discusses the various shotguns available to Soviet hunters including a 32-guage modified Mosin rifle...

View attachment 275763

The are commonly called Frolovka in honor of Frolov who came up with the conversion process at TOZ.

Here's more info on them...

And another variant from the now sadly-defunct 7.62x54r.net website...

And yet another variant...

Molot may have simply only imported the firearm, they were one of several companies that did so and the Russian government required them to add additional markings to the rifle/shotgun. I wouldn't expect them to be converting old Mosins into shotguns as late as the 1990s when they were building AK-based ones...
    Dang! Ok, so if mine still looks like a Mosin and fires 7.62 x 54r (brother in law shot several rounds through it) then it was marked for retrofit, but never completed. Those "shotguns" look like an actual shotgun so mine did not get modified that way. This forum and you sir.. are great!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    ... then it was marked for retrofit, but never completed...
    Are you sure of that, read what you had in the first post:
    In recent years, Molot has produced shotgun variants of the Mosin-Nagant rifle, the SKS carbine and the AKM rifle for the Russian civilian firearms market utilising the "Lancaster" rifling and up-necked, shotgun versions of the 7.62x54R and 7.62x39mm cartridges (Under Russian law, gun owners must hold a shotgun licence for five years in order to get a rifle licence).

That thing about "up-necked, shotgun versions of the 7.62x54R and 7.62x39mm cartridges" gives me pause to wonder if indeed it was modified. I am no expert as to any modifications to firearms but to me "up-necked" sounds as if they did something to possibly expand the diameter of the case neck and then thus also of the chamber, maybe to accept a small amount of shot in the modified metallic cartridge. If that is the case, my guess would be the gun would possibly still accept and fire 7.62x54R rounds. I am sure someone, from this site, who does gunsmithing could tell you if that is possible. If it is possible and if that is what they did to modify it, you may want to check with a gunsmith to make sure it is safe to keep using 7.62x54R rifle rounds. Just because your brother-in-law has fired some 7.62x54R rifle rounds through it does not necessarily mean it is safe to keep on doing if there actually was a modification.

WAXTRAX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2021
    Carrollton TX 75007
    Are you sure of that, read what you had in the first post:

That thing about "up-necked, shotgun versions of the 7.62x54R and 7.62x39mm cartridges" gives me pause to wonder if indeed it was modified. I am no expert as to any modifications to firearms but to me "up-necked" sounds as if they did something to possibly expand the diameter of the case neck and then thus also of the chamber, maybe to accept a small amount of shot in the modified metallic cartridge. If that is the case, my guess would be the gun would possibly still accept and fire 7.62x54R rounds. I am sure someone, from this site, who does gunsmithing could tell you if that is possible. If it is possible and if that is what they did to modify it, you may want to check with a gunsmith to make sure it is safe to keep using 7.62x54R rifle rounds. Just because your brother-in-law has fired some 7.62x54R rifle rounds through it does not necessarily mean it is safe to keep on doing if there actually was a modification.
    Not a bad idea. The pictures of all the "shotguns" listed above did not look at all like the stock m91. What I posted was from wikipedia.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Umm, check the brass you fired. It will expand to the chamber and any changes will be obvious.

Top Bottom