Mosin mess!

Brains

Hey! Relax!
Apr 9, 2013
Spring
I'm not up on my history, but didn't the Soviets abandon the platform once they saw the promise of Kalashnikov's autoloading action?

Ozzman

Aug 17, 2015
El Paso, Texas
I'm not up on my history, but didn't the Soviets abandon the platform once they saw the promise of Kalashnikov's autoloading action?
They did. But so did their tactics; no more dig in and go for the long shot. I saw a documentary on this. I think it is called Top 10 Battle Rifles. Pretty much the AK allowed the Russian infantry to run-and-gun their foe with 100's of comrades in front and behind you.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
You're probably thinking about the Simonov (SKS) rifle. The Mosin was already nearly 50 years old when the Kalashnikov was accepted and even the Soviets knew its time had come...

That said, you can still find Mosins used in conflict zones today!

Maverick44

Certified All-American Gun Nut
That said, you can still find Mosins used in conflict zones today!
You most certainly can, but let's be honest. That's because they were made by the millions and got around, not because they were a particularly good rifle. Especial for modern combat. I don't think anyone is using them by choice, and I'd bet money that they'd dump them the second they found any autoloader.

Last edited:

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
the Ak was adopted alongside a new strategy, highly mobile armored troops armed with light, automatic weapons, with the Mosin, and later SVD fulfilling SDM roles.

the USSR had employed a similar doctrine in WW2, by 1943 entire companies were armed with smg's

why make a mos

They did. But so did their tactics; no more dig in and go for the long shot. I saw a documentary on this. I think it is called Top 10 Battle Rifles. Pretty much the AK allowed the Russian infantry to run-and-gun their foe with 100's of comrades in front and behind you.
It wasn't the AK that first allowed that, the Russians as early as 1943 had entire companies equipped with nothing but SMG's

When you don't care about causality rates, theres no reason to spend the money on a 91/30, when you could get 2 ppsh 41's or 3 ppsh 43's

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
I decided it shot well enough that I would just put a little elbow grease (and a few dollars to replace a couple parts) and get it looking better. Completely stripped off the old finish and re-stained it. Tried to topcoat it with some tung oil, but the wood just wasn’t soaking it in, so I’ll probably just put a coat of shellac back on it. Replaced the barrel bands, butt plate, and cocking piece, all have same arsenal stamps as the rifle, and got a bayonet for it. Sanded and re-blued rear sight, front sight, muzzle end of the barrel, and cleaning rod. It actually looks really good so far. May take it out this weekend and see how she shoots at 100 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
Mausers are nice, but when the best sniper with one went against the best Mosin sniper, the Mosin won.
For the price they are unbeatable.
True that! However I believe that the rifleman , not the rifle scores the kill. I agree that the 7.62x54 has better ballistics than a 8x57 for sniping.

Coyote9

Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
I just found some 7.62x54 ammo and grenade launch blanks for sale ceap!

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members