Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    THE RULES for the 5 SHOT MATCH

1. DISTANCE: From the front edge of the bench to the face of the target: 100 Yards. Targets can be shot indoor or outdoor. Prone or from the bench- Shooter's preference.

2. TARGET: We use a 10 bull version of the USBR target. The official USBR target has 25 record bulls and 3 sighter bulls.
    You can download a copy of the 10 bull target here. Your choice: Green or Black. The 2 sighter bulls are important for checking wind changes. Use them.

3. Choose 5 targets from the perimeter of the sheet and fire one shot at each of the 5 targets. These will be the shots that are scored.

Black Target:

http://www.southpondcottages.com/met...Joe-BLACKa.pdf

Green Target:

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf

4. SCORING: You score your own targets, or have someone score for you. These matches are run on the honor system. When posting the score, you are required to ALSO include: a) type of gun/optic; b) type of ammo; c) distance/method shot(bench or prone); d) weather conditions/other factors affecting scoring; e) any pics you can provide of gun/optic/conditions/target.

POST SCORES IN THIS THREAD:

IF THE SHOT BREAKS THE LINE, CLAIM CREDIT FOR THE HIGHEST POINT.

The 9 ring is considered the bull. A shot that breaks the 9 ring is worth 10 points, it must hit dead center in the bull (completely removing the 9 ring) in order to be considered an X. For calibers under .30 shot must be dead center in order to count as an X. You decide if it is dead center. All other rings are increased by 1 point value (IE: 8 ring=9 points, 7 ring=8, etc).

Maximum Caliber: .338

There is no limit to the number of sighter shots used but they must be shot on the targets within the box.

Unlimited practice targets for now. Decide when you want to shoot an official target and make it official. We'll just trust each other not to shoot 50 practice targets and pick the best one.

Changes may be made to correct any problems as things progress. A post will be made as notification of any rule changes. The post will state the change made and this post will be updated to reflect the change.

Link for official scoring thread:

Centerfire Challenge Scoring Thread
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75761

Thanks to ussoldier1984 for spurring this and all those who put in work in the rimfire competition for giving us a framework to build from! Should be a lot of fun.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Can we make one edit to the rules? I say for scoring the majority of the bullet hole is the ring you score so if just over half the bullet is in the 6 then you get 6 because our bullets are larger than the rimfire. If you look at my sheet I break both a higher and lower on some shots. Idk

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    graded like this I know we are changing points for each ring because size of caliber so 9 is really 10, 8 is really 9 and 7 is really 8 so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    graded like this I know we are changing points for each ring because size of caliber so 9 is really 10, 8 is really 9 and 7 is really 8 so on.

I say we score as YG posted. If ypu break the ring, you score the higher score.
    Like shooting skeet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

By going with the highest ring broken it prevents any question for a round that evenly splits 2 rings. Although it would give slight disadvantage to whose shooting .223, it could also be said that they have some advantage due to the lesser recoil of the rifle.

I think breaking the rings just avoids any question as to what the score should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So what would that score be? Also where is the official target submission thread be?

I would score it like this (adjusted for increased ring value)

f014c1e5ec300288adb0da867181099b.jpg

Final score would be 30-0X

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Gonna be another thread for scoring targets only. I didn't make it yet.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Why would we not do group sizes for a contest? Every other contest I've participated in is done this way and it gives no advantage to a given caliber. The 30 shot challenge on snipershide is a good one because it takes away some of the advantage for guys who've got nice rifles and handloads. It's more a test of consistency and focus moreso than raw accuracy potential of the rifle. I've got a custom 223 with my handloads drives tacks literally but it's hard to hold together six 5 shot groups to the true potential of the rifle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's not really intended to be like every other contest.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    K ... so ... I see max caliber .338 is back in play. Me and my goofy 460 Rowland will watch and wait till I have a rifle that passes contest muster. I don't blame y'all for not dealing a 1911 (with Mech Tech upper) into a centerfire rifle competition - I'd be scared too :clown:.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    So by these rules basically anyone who shoots a 338 will win. Just think its funny with all the complaining about some people having nicer firearms that the contest is completely tilted in the guys with deeper pockets favor. Doesnt really matter to me, Ill shoot it regardless, the rules are just a bit odd. This is more like the cold bore challenge that many do.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't recall anyone whining about nicer firearms.

It's just a competition for fun. Nothing on the line, include as many as possible, and not the same old "who shoots the tightest group".

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think the advantage for a bigger caliber outweighs the disadvantage for more recoil and cost. Maybe not though.

But it is all in good fun I suppose.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    This is all about fun, I could see the fuss if there was a prize on the line about caliber but its just a way for us to go out and shoot something that is more of a challenge. A way for us to all work twards better accuracy and show and share knowledge between us. Bring us together as a gun community. Just go out and shoot within the rules and have fun. If you don't like the rules you do not have to partake. I already posted the first target to get things rolling in the other thread I started and it was quite the challenge. Only scored 30-0x points.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom