IMG_20120409_200542.jpg
    Lynx Defense

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    It looks like a grand cherokee. I haven't seen one with a manual transmission, so I would guess engine go boom.

I am sorry to see that happen to you man. Is ther a hole in the side of the block?

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Yup on the Jeep GC, it was serviced about 2k miles ago. No issues or warnings of a problem before this. Temp never got hot, oil always at 40 psi (when started it is still at 40 psi) A tow truck is going to pick it up today. Not sure if this is normal or not but it is pulling wicked vacuum at the oil fill cap, wicked as it will suck the cap out of your grip from about 2" away.

What I know is not normal is the clicking and banging along with the mosquito fog.

The banging sounds like a busted rod, but the clicking is more like the sound of a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. So I am at a loss on that one.
    Yo Sterling, Momma and babies are good!

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    5.2? oR THE 5.9? Have you put a PCV valve in recently? Pull it and take a peek at it.

post a vid, i wanna hear it...LOL

does it sound like a piston is missing (firing - not lost) or irregular in idling or revving...?

yes, sounds like it is missing, and wont idle well, and revving the motor makes the banging and smoke worse.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Is the smoke coming from under the hood? mid-ship? Exhaust pipe?

Under hood ... sheered power steering pump shaft

Mid-ship ... rear main seal or front seal of the trans. Maybe even a vent tube has come out.

Exhaust ... blown head gasket.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Another thought on if the smoke is coming from the engine bay.

The odds are very slim but it could be, although not very likely, have somehow been made to run backwards, by no fault of your own.....I know this sounds impossible, but I have seen it happen on more than a few engines. They were diesels but you just never know.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Smoke is only from the exhaust. I will find out tomorow. I dont think its a head gasket as no oil in water or vice versa. I guess I will find out if the 3rd party warranty that came with the jeep is worth a flip.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    We have C.A.R.S on Jenns Saab and when the motor was replaced it only wound up costing us like $900 something out of pocket. It took for eeeeeeeeever though. Sorry. To hear about your Jeep. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    It turns out to be scored cylinder walls, broken rings, and a busted valve guide. This equates to basically a bad motor. Oh well, the warranty company is doing everything they can to not cover the motor. Something about the cylinder walls and rings being damaged from the valve guide……

I thought about a rebuilt motor, but have never had luck with one. Perhaps I just don’t know a good builder.

Anyone have a jeep dealer parts hookup? The sticker price I got was 3700 for a ready to run 4.7 (this is too much for me to sink into an old jeep)

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Moving to a Mopar dealer this week. Thats not a bad price for a rebuilt motor. Pretty easy swap over too. Book pricing on it:

Engine
    Short Block
    Without H.O.5102736AA$4050.00
    Includes: Cylinder Block With Pistons & Rings, Crankshaft, Connecting Rods & Bearings.
    With H.O.5102737AA$3545.00
    Includes: Cylinder Block With Pistons & Rings, Crankshaft, Connecting Rods & Bearings.
    LaborSkill
    Level
    Mfg.
    Warranty
    Standard
    Engine
    Replace
    Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of PartsB0.06.9
    Does Not Include: Transfer Of Any Part Of Engine Or Replacement Of Optional Equipment.
    NOTE
    With Skid Plate, AddB0.00.2
    With PS, AddB0.00.4
    With AC, AddB0.01.3
    Complete Assembly With Transfer Of PartsB0.011.8

Top Bottom