• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glazer1972

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    E.TX
    I’ve got a S&W Mod 19 6” that spent too many years under the bar in a humid beer joint. It is in pretty bad shape. It had a dirt dobber nest in the bbl when I got it. It has some pretty good pitting and I know it will never be perfect. I was wondering if anyone knew anyone within driving distance of Lufkin that would do a strip and park or ceracoat etc. I’m also not sure if a bbl chop to 3” would get the dobber damage out. May want to round butt it if so. Any suggestions? I’ll try to get some pics up.
    Military Camp

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Subbed because if you can find someone to competently do all that, I have a Model 10 I want to hand them.

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    I did the blasting and cleaning on a friend's Model 19 many years ago, whereupon he parkerized it, and we were pleasantly surprised to note that it looked more or less like an "updated" Victory Model when we finished it up. I was prepared to be appalled by the idea when we first started, but I thought it turned out surprisingly well, and he was very happy with it.

That damn pistol was accurate as hell, too.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Check timing and lockup first to see if it’s worth the effort.
    If you don’t want to go the route of paying more than it’s worth, the parkerizing idea is pretty good.
    You can get the pistol blasted once stripped for a song and dance (or a 6 pack if you know the guy), degrease it, spend about $50 on some zinc or manganese phosphate parkerizing solution, wd40, candy thermometer and stainless steel pot from a thrift shop.
    It’s a very simple process and the first that is recommended to be done before spray on coatings anyways.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    dobarker; All,

MANGANESE PARKERIZING is the FLAT BLACK kind of Parkerizing.

IF Parkerizing does not cover the pitting to your satisfaction, AUTO EXHAUST PAINT the color called "machinery black", i.e., SATIN BLACK will & once it is heat-cured even sandpaper will NOT get it off.

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom