Mod 19 refinish.

glazer1972

Aug 12, 2013
E.TX
I’ve got a S&W Mod 19 6” that spent too many years under the bar in a humid beer joint. It is in pretty bad shape. It had a dirt dobber nest in the bbl when I got it. It has some pretty good pitting and I know it will never be perfect. I was wondering if anyone knew anyone within driving distance of Lufkin that would do a strip and park or ceracoat etc. I’m also not sure if a bbl chop to 3” would get the dobber damage out. May want to round butt it if so. Any suggestions? I’ll try to get some pics up.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Subbed because if you can find someone to competently do all that, I have a Model 10 I want to hand them.

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
Aug 13, 2018
Texas
I did the blasting and cleaning on a friend's Model 19 many years ago, whereupon he parkerized it, and we were pleasantly surprised to note that it looked more or less like an "updated" Victory Model when we finished it up. I was prepared to be appalled by the idea when we first started, but I thought it turned out surprisingly well, and he was very happy with it.

That damn pistol was accurate as hell, too.

dobarker

Mar 26, 2010
Sonora
Check timing and lockup first to see if it’s worth the effort.
If you don’t want to go the route of paying more than it’s worth, the parkerizing idea is pretty good.
You can get the pistol blasted once stripped for a song and dance (or a 6 pack if you know the guy), degrease it, spend about $50 on some zinc or manganese phosphate parkerizing solution, wd40, candy thermometer and stainless steel pot from a thrift shop.
It’s a very simple process and the first that is recommended to be done before spray on coatings anyways.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
dobarker; All,

MANGANESE PARKERIZING is the FLAT BLACK kind of Parkerizing.

IF Parkerizing does not cover the pitting to your satisfaction, AUTO EXHAUST PAINT the color called "machinery black", i.e., SATIN BLACK will & once it is heat-cured even sandpaper will NOT get it off.

yours, satx

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts