• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Mission Ridge has a rule in place that no one is allowed to shoot from prone on their 100 yard range.

I've been a member at Mission Ridge pretty much since they opened and been shooting prone on the 100 yard range all along. I was informed my last session that they don't allow prone shooting. Said it was always the rule and it is to prevent people from shooting the ceiling. Literally as I was being told this the guy two lanes down from me put 5-6 rounds into the ceiling from a standing position.

It's been a pretty good range otherwise. Friendly staff, clean, convenient. That said, I'll be moving on since I can't do my preferred fundamentals practice.

Their range, their rules. Just be aware.
    Gun Zone Deals

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mission Ridge has a rule in place that no one is allowed to shoot from prone on their 100 yard range.

I've been a member at Mission Ridge pretty much since they opened and been shooting prone on the 100 yard range all along. I was informed my last session that they don't allow prone shooting. Said it was always the rule and it is to prevent people from shooting the ceiling. Literally as I was being told this the guy two lanes down from me put 5-6 rounds into the ceiling from a standing position.

It's been a pretty good range otherwise. Friendly staff, clean, convenient. That said, I'll be moving on since I can't do my preferred fundamentals practice.

Their range, their rules. Just be aware.
    I don't understand... how do you shoot a ceiling prone?

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I have no idea how it makes sense. It make no sense to me either which is why I am 1) looking for a new place to shoot and 2) spreading the message.

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The problem with being overly concerned with prone shooters being negligent dischargers is ludicrous given the wide variety of the shots I see in the various shooing bays I shoot in.

I was at PSC pistol bays last week and for the umpteenth time noticed rounds having been discharge at/in the most unlikely of places.

The 'careless' also stand......

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shooting prone into the ceiling......

My mind can't wrap around the math on that one.

Many ranges don't allow prone shooting but not for that reason.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I have no trouble imagining how this can happen by the very careless or novices or plain ole dumb which is evidenced all day long by the 'standing'.

Generally, I 'like to think' we gun folk exercise more caution than the average non-gun types, but even in our ranks there are careless folk.....being prone isn't a leading cause of stupidity - carelesslessly stupid has to with the person, not the stance...if you will.

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    It's not while prone that the bullet hits the ceiling; it's when the shooter uses the rifle as a support for getting up off the ground.
    They plant it with a round chambered and the sear releases.

I've seen it happen twice at an outdoor range back east.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Haha, also worth noting. I just went in to cancel my membership and I can't do it in person. I have to send an email. They also require 60 days notice to cancel.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I have been on the 100 yards range at Mission Ridge and seen *many* rounds hit the ceiling. All of those people were either sitting at the bench or standing. Most were people standing. As far as I'm concerned Mission Ridge doesn't need to justify the rules. Their range, their rules.

I'd just hate for someone to go there to work fundamentals and be told they can't. Again, if shooting prone isn't a big deal for you it's a nice range.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    The problem with being overly concerned with prone shooters being negligent dischargers is ludicrous given the wide variety of the shots I see in the various shooing bays I shoot in.

I was at PSC pistol bays last week and for the umpteenth time noticed rounds having been discharge at/in the most unlikely of places.

The 'careless' also stand......
    Ive never noticed that...gonna have to check that out.

BTW...new steel silhouette on the end by the shotty bay.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Next time you're at one of the pistol bays, look at how high some of the impacts are on the bullet trap. Glad they're adding more steel. We need to get them to add some rifle steel now.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Next time you're at one of the pistol bays, look at how high some of the impacts are on the bullet trap. Glad they're adding more steel. We need to get them to add some rifle steel now.
    Yea Im gonna look around next time I go.

Rifle steel. Couple months ago when I went, I believe it was a holiday weekend, they had rifle steel (varmint silhouettes) strewn all the way across the range at 25-50-100. I didnt even know they had all that steel, never seen it before (or since). They pick it up with a tractor pullin a trailer.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Those are for the silhouette matches that they run. They mentioned that in the orientation video that those are all kept in the "chicken house" building. I'd just be happy with some steel plates.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Most of the DFW ranges only allow bench shooting now. Garland used to allow prone and standing but that meant you were forward of the LINE so not anymore. Can't even use rifle cal pistol on pistol anymore.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Most of the DFW ranges only allow bench shooting now. Garland used to allow prone and standing but that meant you were forward of the LINE so not anymore. Can't even use rifle cal pistol on pistol anymore.

How does shooting prone or standing make you "forward of the line"? If your muzzle is at the line how are you in front of it?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom